Menu

DIVE Science vs Math

We used DIVE with Saxon math this year. My kids really didn't like it, so we ended up dropping it mid-year. We still used Saxon math. We just dropped DIVE.

I'm looking at using DIVE IPC next year. However, if they didn't like it for math, will it be any different for science?

What didn't they like about it Rhonda? Was it unclear in the presentation of the math or was it the teacher himself?

I haven't used DIVE Math so I can't compare, but my kids find Dr. Shoreman very boring in DIVE science. I thought his explanations were clear and helpful, he was just hard to listen to.

Completely different. :001_smile:

My dd used the Saxon DIVE for 7/6, and we are using the DIVE for Bio this year. I didn't love the math, but we do love the science. It is one of the best choices I have made cUrriculum-wise.

Edited by angela in ohio
I do know how to spell curriculum - yikes!!

What didn't they like about it Rhonda? Was it unclear in the presentation of the math or was it the teacher himself?

I haven't used DIVE Math so I can't compare, but my kids find Dr. Shoreman very boring in DIVE science. I thought his explanations were clear and helpful, he was just hard to listen to.

They just found it torturous. I have to admit he's pretty monotone.

Completely different. :001_smile:

My dd used the Saxon DIVE for 7/6, and we are using the DIVE for Bio this year. I didn't love the math, but we do love the science. It is one of the best choices I have made cirriculum-wise.

That's good to know. I know there's going to be a wide variety of opinions, but I'm glad to hear of someone who liked the science better than the math.

They just found it torturous. I have to admit he's pretty monotone.

That is exactly what my kids thought about the science. I have seen others post that have the opposite opinion, but I'm afraid if the find his monotone difficult to listen to, they will feel the same way in science. I have only done ICP, so I don't know if they are all that way.

For an alternative, we really enjoy Khan Academy. Stronger explanations and its free! The only downside is that it does not plan your schedule for you and give you labs and tests. I am still debating DIVE Biology just for the labs, but we will NOT listen to his lectures. :D