Menu

Anyone following the Cricket World Cup?

Yeah, everybody was thrilled (I think it happened a few days ago). It was all over the papers and TV.

Do you follow cricket, SpyCar?

Our boys learned to play last year with the other kids here in the complex. They don't watch it on TV much, though.

Well, I just went to ask ds8, and he said he'd like to watch it, so I'm giving him more liberal use of the TV, lol. Dd just said that we're starting the semi-finals, so I guess we definitely need to get watching.

Yeah, everybody was thrilled (I think it happened a few days ago). It was all over the papers and TV.

Do you follow cricket, SpyCar?

Our boys learned to play last year with the other kids here in the complex. They don't watch it on TV much, though.

Well, I just went to ask ds8, and he said he'd like to watch it, so I'm giving him more liberal use of the TV, lol. Dd just said that we're starting the semi-finals, so I guess we definitely need to get watching.

I've played a little Cricket myself. Not many native-born Americans do. But we have some very lovely grounds near our home, and my boy is learning the game.

Sadly, I don't get to see many televised games. Occasionally I will go down to the Springbok Pub and catch a match on their satellite feed. But I knew about India's victory over Australia.

Bill

I catch the coverage in the Guardian, although it's not a sport I follow much (I'm usually prowling for soccer news). My kids take weekend classes at Carnegie Mellon University, and there are always students out on the lawns playing when we are there (usually Indian students).

Some of the very best eating takes place at the Cricket "Teas" (that's what the lunch meal players take at mid-day is called) around here.

We have teams from the West Indies, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Brits, Bengaladeshis, Australians, South Africans and they all try to out-do each other when it is their turn to host the Tea.

Mmmmm.

Bill

Some of the very best eating takes place at the Cricket "Teas" (that's what the lunch meal players take at mid-day is called) around here.

We have teams from the West Indies, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Brits, Bengaladeshis, Australians, South Africans and they all try to out-do each other when it is their turn to host the Tea.

Mmmmm.

Bill

I feel like this may fall under the board rule about providing recipes once food is mentioned. :D

I feel like this may fall under the board rule about providing recipes once food is mentioned. :D

These men are happy share to food, but not the recipes :D

My 6.75 year old son (who ordinarily shies away from spicy food) had some Tea from the Jamacian side the other day, and now he goes around saying: I like Jerk Chicken!

Bill

My dh has been glued to the computer for the last few weeks following the world cup.

I have stayed away from it all but still managed to find out that Sri Lanka beat England in the quarter finals today and that they will be playing New Zealand in the semi finals, so that's good news for dh so far.

Jen in PA, I'm more of a soccer fan, too, though it's probably just because I don't really understand cricket. I'm glad the kids are learning, though. It is just one more interesting thing to be familiar with in this wide world.

It's great that your son is learning cricket right in your neighborhood, Spycar. I don't think many American kids get that opportunity. And I didn't realize mid-day meals were called teas. I had a Brit friend once who referred to the evening meal that way, but not the noon meal. I haven't heard anyone here in India say it. Maybe I'll have to pay closer attention.

Good luck to your husband's country, Mabelen. Has he made any specific comments on this World Cup? People here in India were grousing about the Indian players showing off too much, and losing to South Africa because of it. (Also, if you get a chance, could you take a look at my thread directed towards native Spanish speakers over on the bilingual board? I'm wondering if you have any book recs . . .:))

We are waiting for the India-Pakistan match. Dh is from Pakistan and we have many friends from India. Let's just say there are many people wondering who will be bringing the sweets to the mosque this week. :)

Lesley

Lol!

Here we're just hoping violence won't break out . . .

It's great that your son is learning cricket right in your neighborhood, Spycar. I don't think many American kids get that opportunity. And I didn't realize mid-day meals were called teas. I had a Brit friend once who referred to the evening meal that way, but not the noon meal. I haven't heard anyone here in India say it. Maybe I'll have to pay closer attention.

Good luck to your husband's country, Mabelen. Has he made any specific comments on this World Cup? People here in India were grousing about the Indian players showing off too much, and losing to South Africa because of it. (Also, if you get a chance, could you take a look at my thread directed towards native Spanish speakers over on the bilingual board? I'm wondering if you have any book recs . . .:))

Well, Sri Lanka is in the finals! Now, we'll see if we play India or Pakistan...

My dh hasn't talked much about it at home, but I know there has been plenty of talk among his old school friends online.

As far as I know the custom of having something to eat during criket matches is called tea break because it's not a full meal. It's supposed to be a light meal approximately half way through the game.

I will head over to the Bilingual board.

Dh is trying to reach out and bridge a gap with his shier, less confident co-workers from India. So, he's been talking about the match with them this morning. They are all a little concerned about the Indian team appearing "shaky." It's cute, some of them will not say two words to him and are always afraid to let him down, though he's a very nice team lead and tends a lot more towards the "what can you learn from this" side of things than the, "you made a mistake and your in trouble with me" side. So, they are getting kind of animated and he's loving it. But, the sad thing is...the only cricket he knows is from watching a couple of episodes of All Creatures Great and Small in which the character of James Herriott was on a cricket team. NOT a lot of personal knowledge there.

Spycar, please tell your son that I absolutely agree with him about Jamaican Jerk Chicken. It's one of the best foods in the whole world. Tell him that I encountered it when I went to Jamaica at the age of 17. I was there for three weeks working to help convert an abandoned building (we had a large team there) into a dorm for a youth camp for homeless teens. Also, tell him that fried banana in coconut milk is very good, but boiled plantain is not and to avoid the sardine omlettes if he ever has a chancet to go.

Kudos to you Bill, for exposing your child to other cultures and celebrating the diversity!

Faith

Cricket is big here but I stopped following it as an adult. As a kid, I was dragged along to lots of matches- actually it was fun to go wild in the cricket grounds.

But I dont follow any sports. And I love dh because he doesnt either :)