Menu

Good reality check

So, lately I have been feeling a little sorry for myself, missing some parts of my life from before I had children and as I have posted previously, feeling a little trapped by our homeschooling and life in general. I was on the way to my eye doctor appointment yesterday, and this song came on my ipod. I almost skipped it but something told me that I really needed to hear it. The song is called "These Four Walls". The version on my ipod is by Sara Evans but I couldn't find her version on Youtube. It just reminded me all I have to be thankful for and how good my life really is. I really need spring to come to get me out of this funk.

Here are the lyrics:

Wasn't That Long Ago

I Was Skipping To School With A Lunchbox

Pigtails In My Hair

Where Did The Time Go

One Minute I'm Playing In The Sandbox

How'd I Get To Hear From There

Making Lunches And Folding Clothes

Is Not The Most Glamorous Life I Know

But I've Got So Much More Than Most

CHORUS

I'm Not Famous But My Kids Think

I'm A Star

I'm Not Rich But I've Made A Million

Memories So Far

I May Not Be A Model

But My Man Thinks I Could Be

I May Not Be From Royalty

But In These Four Walls

I'm The Queen

I Had It All Planned

First I'd Make It Big In Nashville

Then Take Hollywood By Storm

But It Was In God's Hands

There Were Three Little Lives That Would

Need Me

To One Day Be Their Mom

I Wouldn't Trade It For Anything

Those Movie Stars Don't Have

Everything

I Know I'm Right Where I Wanna To Be

CHORUS

I Had To Let It Go, But I Have No Regrets

I Would Have Never Known This Kind Of

Happiness

CHORUS

I have days like that too. I usually think back to college, when I studied anthropology, and to the story one of my professors told us about women he met in countries dealing with famine who had to choose which of their children to let starve to death, because there wasn't enough food to keep them all alive.

Okay, so it's not exactly a cheerful story, but it certainly snaps me out of any pity parties I'm throwing.

...on the other end of the time continuum from you--my children are ages 20 & 16. I often find myself wondering where the time went, and although I am so, so, so proud of the way my children have turned out, I miss the days when they were little and always underfoot. Unlike some mothers I have known, I have never looked forward to the day when my children would be grown and out of the house. I am actually a little afraid now that I am faced with having to figure out what in the world I'm going to do with myself in that rapidly approaching time when they are both adults and we are no longer living under the same roof. Dh & I have a marvelous relationship, but in a way, we are going to have to get to know each other again. We are both 50yo, and the things that interested us before we had children aren't the things that appeal to us any more. When we are alone together nowadays, our conversation, more often than not, turns to our children and what is going on with them. We are working on developing some interests that we can delve into together.

Edited by ereks mom

Guest CarolineUK
...on the other end of the time continuum from you--my children are ages 20 & 16. I often find myself wondering where the time went, and although I am so, so, so proud of the way my children have turned out, I miss the days when they were little and always underfoot. ... Dh & I have a marvelous relationship, but in a way, we are going to have to get to know each other again. We are both 50yo, and the things that interested us before we had children aren't the things that appeal to us any more. When we are alone together nowadays, our conversation, more often than not, turns to our children and what is going on with them. We are working on developing some interests that we can delve into together.

:grouphug: I'm sure you'll always be a star to your children, no matter how old they are.

I'm also nearing 50, but made the mistake of having a baby at 43 :tongue_smilie:, so I'm still in the thick of it, and mostly loving it. However, many of my friends my age have older children, the age of yours and older, and their main complaint is that they can't get them to leave :D.

I think you should enjoy a well earned rest for a little while ... before the grandchildren turn up :D.

...on the other end of the time continuum from you--my children are ages 20 & 16. I often find myself wondering where the time went, and although I am so, so, so proud of the way my children have turned out, I miss the days when they were little and always underfoot. Unlike some mothers I have known, I have never looked forward to the day when my children would be grown and out of the house. I am actually a little afraid now that I am faced with having to figure out what in the world I'm going to do with myself in that rapidly approaching time when they are both adults and we are no longer living under the same roof. Dh & I have a marvelous relationship, but in a way, we are going to have to get to know each other again. We are both 50yo, and the things that interested us before we had children aren't the things that appeal to us any more. When we are alone together nowadays, our conversation, more often than not, turns to our children and what is going on with them. We are working on developing some interests that we can delve into together.

:grouphug::grouphug:

The feelings you have seem to be not too far off for me. I realized as I was planning school this year that my oldest will be 5th grade next year. I can't believe time has passed so quickly. I have really seen changes in her this year as well where I can visibly see that she is becoming a young lady instead of my little girl.

ETA: I am glad others have enjoyed the song as well.

Edited by littlebug42

This is exactly how I feel. All I ever wanted to be was a mom and the happiest times in my life have been since I have become one. Unfortunately, my children are now 11 and 9 and while I know we still have lots of time together, I know how quickly they will be gone.

I do try to cheer myself up with the hope of grandchildren. I've heard being a grandparent is just as wonderful.

Lisa