Menu

Latin... or not?

I am trying to decide whether to attempt a Latin program with my 11 yo dd (who has high functioning autism). My primary goal would be to give her tools for expanding her vocabulary, with an eye toward future college entrance exams.

Have any of you had success using a full latin program with a special needs child? How about one of the root word programs, like Vocabulary from Classical Roots?

I really appreciate any experiences you can share with me. Since I am very new to the classical education philosophy, I am floundering in trying to make decisions about latin, logic, and writing.

I do not plan on doing Latin with my HFA dd. I just do not think she will be able to do it. She is 11yrs old and functioning in 3rd grade right now. She should be in 6th grade according to her birthdate. Maybe I am being too easy? My boys are doing Latin. I do have her sit on the lesson.

Thanks for your response, Holly. I am trying to decide between MCT Caesar's English and English from the Roots Up IF I go with a word roots approach. Not sure which full latin program I will use if I decide to go that direction. I might just have to try one and see what works for my dd.

I'm hoping a few other members might pipe in with their experience. :)

We are using Prima Latina with the DVD and will do Latina Christiana I next year. While it's designed for younger students I think it's a great gentle introduction into Latin. We've made it a thing for the whole family to do. I to use it two years ago without the DVD and don't recommend it. The DVD makes the program work for my SN ds. Hope that helps.

We are using Prima Latina with the DVD and will do Latina Christiana I next year. While it's designed for younger students I think it's a great gentle introduction into Latin. We've made it a thing for the whole family to do. I to use it two years ago without the DVD and don't recommend it. The DVD makes the program work for my SN ds. Hope that helps.

Thank you! I'm off to check out Prima Latina! :)

Prima Latina looks like it might be exactly what dd needs. I am going to the Midwest Homeschool Convention later this week, and I will be able to get a first-hand look at it there. I think Cheryl Lowe will be speaking there, as well, so I should probably rethink my schedule. Again! :tongue_smilie:

• 2 weeks later...

My Asperger's and probably dyslexic daughter has been doing fabulously in Latin at her classical charter school, earning a 94% in the class. I've been so surprised. She is a motivated student because she wants to be a biologist someday, but I don't think that fully explains it. She doesn't seem to study hard at home. Either she has a fabulous teacher, or she really has a knack for it. I don't know.

To put this in context: she's in 7th grade and probably about 2 grade levels behind in language arts. She mumbles big words so she doesn't have to sound them out. She's horrible at spelling and grammar.

I'm sure that the Latin will help with her other language arts problems. I'm glad she's taking it.