Menu

Teaching Schmooey to read - should I try it, or wait?

I was reading to the girls today, and Schmooey came up and saw our poetry book. He was able to tell me all the letters in "POEMS" and I was so proud! :) I haven't been working with him, but he is learning letters in preschool.

Should I try to teach him to read, or just wait until we actually start school in 2012? He has not asked me to learn to read. If I were to start with reading, what should I use? We used MFW K with the girls, but (a) I don't have the TM right now and (b) I don't want to do K with him until K. I would *love* to get AAR, but I'm not sure that's in the budget. Would something like 100 Easy Lessons be good? The Reading Lesson? OPGTR? Teach A Child to Read with Children's Books?

I am OK with just waiting, but I'd love to have some "school" to do with him and if he's interested in learning to read I'd love to run with it.

My middle son starts K fall of 2012 also. We've been working on reading using Webster's Speller. So far, things are going great! We do everything at the white board.I'll write a syllable, and he'll copy it, making "big scary letters". It's quite funny.

Oh, and you don't have to have your child copy your letters. Mine only does it because he *insists* on doing it. He won't read something until he's written it himself. Silly boy. But he's ready to write, as far as fine motor skills go, so I'm ok with it. At this age, everything I'm doing is on his time table. If he wants to do school, we'll do school. If he doesn't want to do school, we won't do school. He just had a brain growth spurt recently though, so I think that's why he's wanting to do school more often.

I've been contemplating the same thing, Beth, and I think I'm going to proceed slowly now...while he's ever so excited about his discovery that letters are in books. :) He likes to stretch out a long row of letters on the refrigerator and sound out his "word." I think it's time. They'll let us know if it is not time, right? And then we can just wait for our original plan.

• 2 weeks later...
Why would you wait until the public school system says he is Officially Kindergarten age? :confused:

If he could recognize those letters, then you are already teaching him to read. :001_smile:

It's not that I think I should wait until he's "officially" K age; it's that I don't want to start too early. The more I think about it, though, I would rather try while he's having fun learning, and take it at a slow pace, than to wait and find out he is no longer interested and have a battle. :)

We went to breakfast today and there are only 6 letters he doesn't recognize, which I thought was pretty cool. I'm going to break out the LeapFrog DVD and the Webster's book and see what happens.

I've been contemplating the same thing, Beth, and I think I'm going to proceed slowly now...while he's ever so excited about his discovery that letters are in books. :) He likes to stretch out a long row of letters on the refrigerator and sound out his "word." I think it's time. They'll let us know if it is not time, right? And then we can just wait for our original plan.

Dawn, what are you going to do? I'm always interested in ideas!

Here is the succession I have done for my oldest 2-it has worked so far! :)

1-ABC puzzle until they know most/all letters & sounds

2-when they know most, we use Starfall.com as a test/reward (the letter they can say w/sound, I will click on and they can watch)

3-work on making sure they know all of their lowercase letters (I use beanbags that I made - got the idea from Tot School Blog)

4-OPGTR with magnadoodle & fridge letters

5-bob books

6-early readers from library

I go by time, not lesson, and just increase the time as they get older & more used to what we are doing. dd2 reads a library book to me for 15 min & we work on OPG for 15 min (we started off just doing 5 min - she has been doing OPG for a year now and we are on lesson 100-something).

I just started a facebook poll to get ideas. :) I have the Memoria Press phonics program...I need to look at it more closely. It combines the phonics with writing, so I am not sure it will work. Right now we've been using refrigerator magnets and putting three-letter words together to sound out. I'll probably end up buying either OPGTR or Phonics Pathways.

Checkout ElizabethB's phonics page, too.

My words of advice are to let the child set the pace. When interested, teach in small bursts. When child is no longer interested, don't worry about finishing the rest of that "lesson" or "page." If they say they don't want to do it that day, drop it until they want to do it again. Check to see how much they remember from the last lesson & start there.

Good luck! :grouphug: