Menu

This really scared me! Dr Hive, please...

My fil accidentally let our dog loose (again!) and I was carrying him back to the house after catching him as I had no leash. He was really getting heavy, and I started have trouble catching my breath. By the time I got home, I was wheezing and having a lot of trouble. I was starting to get dizzy, and I was trying to find one of mil's inhalers, and my fil is just looking at me like I'm nuts and went to watch tv.:001_huh: After 5 - 10 minutes I felt better except for a little tightness in my chest. Could this be like exercise induced asthma? I was using inhalers for a little while after I quit smoking 5 years ago, but nothing since. Does this warrant a trip to the dr.? It happened once previously, (also from carrying) but to a much lesser degree. A few times I have felt weak when using my arms for lifting, but not during regular exercise. Poor dh had to deal with a weepy phone call because it really scared me. He always makes me feel better.:001_wub:

I have exercise induced asthma, although it's never officially diagnosed. It acts the same way. If I overdo it I get dizzy & out of breath, but feel better within 10 minutes. Allergies can exacerbate the situation. It's usually when I do high cardio, like an intense bike ride, or running after a dog (btdt).

I just kind of deal with it and know my limitations as I've dealt with it most of my life. But in your case a visit to the doctor would probably be helpful.

A friend had something similar happen that turned out to be a blood clot in her lung. She had a family history of this but it had never happened to her before, and it was pretty serious. I'd at least call your doctor's office and see if you could have a phone consultation with a nurse or something.

Thanks for the replies! I think I will put a call in to be safe. My mom has angina, and heart disease runs in the family. I didn't really think of it being heart related, but better to be safe than sorry. Even if it turns out to be exercise induced asthma, maybe an inhaler would be handy to have just in case...

Thanks for the replies! I think I will put a call in to be safe. My mom has angina, and heart disease runs in the family. I didn't really think of it being heart related, but better to be safe than sorry. Even if it turns out to be exercise induced asthma, maybe an inhaler would be handy to have just in case...

Did you use the inhaler? Please don't until you've been checked. If this is cardiac, the inhalers could be really dangerous (depending on what they are).

Symptoms

By Mayo Clinic staff Angina symptoms include:

• Chest pain or discomfort

• Pain in your arms, neck, jaw, shoulder or back accompanying chest pain

• Nausea

• Fatigue

• Shortness of breath

• Anxiety

• Sweating

• Dizziness

The chest pain and discomfort common with angina may be described as pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain in the center of your chest. Some people with angina symptoms describe angina as feeling like a vise is squeezing their chest, or feeling like a heavy weight has been placed on their chest.

The severity, duration and type of angina can vary. It's important to recognize if you have new or changing chest pain. New or different symptoms may signal a more dangerous form of angina (unstable angina) or a heart attack.

Stable angina is the most common form of angina and typically occurs with exertion and goes away with rest. If chest pain is a new symptom for you, it's important to see your health care provider to find out what's causing your chest pain and to get proper treatment. If your stable angina gets worse or changes, becoming unstable, seek medical attention immediately.

Characteristics of stable angina

• Develops when your heart works harder, such as when you exercise or climb stairs

• Can usually be predicted and the pain is usually similar to previous types of chest pain you've had

• Lasts a short time, perhaps five minutes or less

• Disappears sooner if you rest or use your angina medication

• Could feel like indigestion

• Might spread to your arms, back or other areas

• Can be triggered by mental or emotional stress

Characteristics of unstable angina (a medical emergency)

• Occurs even at rest

• Is a change in your usual pattern of angina

• Is unexpected

• Is usually more severe and lasts longer than stable angina, maybe as long as 30 minutes

• May not disappear with rest or use of angina medication

• Might signal a heart attack

Characteristics of variant angina (Prinzmetal's angina)

• Usually happens when you're resting

• Is often severe

• May be relieved by angina medication

Angina in women

A woman's angina symptoms can be different from the classic angina symptoms. For example, a woman may have chest pain that feels like a stabbing, pulsating or sharp form of chest pain rather than the more typical vise-like pressure. Women are also more likely to experience symptoms, such as nausea, shortness of breath or abdominal pain. These differences may lead to delays in seeking treatment.

When to see a doctor

If your chest pain lasts longer than a few minutes and doesn't go away when you rest or take your angina medications, it may be a sign you're having a heart attack. Call 911 or emergency medical help. Arrange for transportation, and drive yourself to the hospital only as a last resort.

Also, many women with angina don't even have chest pain, but have the other symptoms (shortness of breath, arm pain, etc.) Edited by Perry

Thanks for the info! I didn't use one - couldn't find one... My mil's inhalers are all ok to use for those with cardiac issues. She has to be careful with which ones she can use. My mother rarely gets chest pain with her angina - she gets arm pain and shortness of breath. I just got off the phone with her, and she said she experienced something very similar while carrying laundry up the stairs. Scary!

Did you use the inhaler? Please don't until you've been checked. If this is cardiac, the inhalers could be really dangerous (depending on what they are).

Also, many women with angina don't even have chest pain, but have the other symptoms (shortness of breath, arm pain, etc.)