Menu

Better to spend 2 years in pre algebra or algebra?

My son (11, 6th grade) is working through pre algebra this year. Although he always missses a few, he is able to understand why he missed the problems. Since he is in 6th grade, I know he can easily spend 2 years either in pre algebra or algebra and not get behind in math. I do not want to rush through math!! I'm wondering if it would be better to spend 2 years in pre algebra or algebra?? Any advice?

Half-and half?

Pre-algebra is so important, it has to become automatic, just like adding integers. So, if he still makes mistakes after a year, I'd give him more time to practice before rushing to algebra. Understanding it is necessary, but to be successful in algebra, he needs to have the fraction/decimal/integer arithmetic mastered so he does not have to think about it.

Then I'd take more time for algebra, too. Some algebra concepts are more abstract and harder for a younger student. My DS11 is doing algebra this year, and while he was flying through expressions and linear equations, we are slowing down considerably now factoring quadratic equations and will probably not finish before the end of the school year..

I'd make sure he has enough time to really master prealgebra (which, if he understands it, probably will not take a whole second year, but maybe a few months) and then start algebra.

Half-and half?

Pre-algebra is so important, it has to become automatic, just like adding integers. So, if he still makes mistakes after a year, I'd give him more time to practice before rushing to algebra. Understanding it is necessary, but to be successful in algebra, he needs to have the fraction/decimal/integer arithmetic mastered so he does not have to think about it.

Then I'd take more time for algebra, too. Some algebra concepts are more abstract and harder for a younger student. My DS11 is doing algebra this year, and while he was flying through expressions and linear equations, we are slowing down considerably now factoring quadratic equations and will probably not finish before the end of the school year..

I'd make sure he has enough time to really master prealgebra (which, if he understands it, probably will not take a whole second year, but maybe a few months) and then start algebra.

This is great advice! thank you :001_smile:

DS14 is on round 3 of Algebra I. First he used Foerester, then LOF, and now back to Foerester for review as he takes Geometry. He got an "A" in each one, but I was looking for understanding and automaticity. When I taught Calculus, the students' mistakes were always Algebra I mistakes, thus my zeal...

DS14 is on round 3 of Algebra I. First he used Foerester, then LOF, and now back to Foerester for review as he takes Geometry. He got an "A" in each one, but I was looking for understanding and automaticity. When I taught Calculus, the students' mistakes were always Algebra I mistakes, thus my zeal...

I would love to hear your opinion of LOF. Do you think it was beneficial? I've also considered trying MUS for a change before tackling Jacobs for Algebra. He's currently using Saxon pre algebra, but I've pretty much decided not to continue with Saxon.

My ds did pre-algebra in the 6th grade last year with Chalkdust. He never scored higher than 82% on the tests. I know if PS, this would be considered passing. I wanted a stronger foundation, so we are currently doing pre-algebra with Kinetic Books and his is getting 95% or better. He also feels more confident in his preparation for Algebra. My thinking was that there was no need for a 7th grader to be in Algebra and it be a struggle. I'd rather have a stronger foundation first.

My ds did pre-algebra in the 6th grade last year with Chalkdust. He never scored higher than 82% on the tests. I know if PS, this would be considered passing. I wanted a stronger foundation, so we are currently doing pre-algebra with Kinetic Books and his is getting 95% or better. He also feels more confident in his preparation for Algebra. My thinking was that there was no need for a 7th grader to be in Algebra and it be a struggle. I'd rather have a stronger foundation first.

I keep hearing about Kinetic - do you mind telling me what you like about it?

I would take it one step at a time & reassess where he is after each text.** Is this a plan you'd share with your child? If that were the case I'd go for the extended pre-algebra, that way its not a kick in the teeth if you decide to change your plans.

**Of course this is not what I do in practice - I have the next 5 years tentatively planned! That's just because I find it comforting to have a long term plan mapped out, not because I think it is necessary! However I do still reassess regularly.

I've only used KB for Algebra I and Algebra II.

Things I really like about KB:

1 Instant feedback on the practice problems. Most of those practice problems also have stepped help so it will walk you through to the solution step-by-step.

2 Enough practice problems without too many practice problems for my kids. YMMV. All kids have need for different amounts of practice. Yours may need more or less.

3 My kids really enjoyed the simulations. My oldest also enjoyed all the games. My middle enjoyed all the games except for escape. That one stressed her out.

4 The option of listening to the lesson when you wanted to (but also have the option of just reading it) was great.

5 I think the option of watching an introductory video for the lesson that you have with the hs version is great. You don't HAVE to watch the video. It doesn't cover anything that isn't already in the course material.

Things that could be improved:

1 It would be nice to have solutions to the end-of-unit problems. These problems just have an answer key. I don't need solutions, but I know there are parents who do.

2 It would be nice to have a grade sheet for the regular program like the hs version has. In the regular program, a score is at the bottom of each page that has problems, but you have to go to each page to get the score instead of having a page that will show you the scores for each section.