Menu

Pre-Calc-- if you don't have a clue

I've been reading Creekland's thread and I'm sorry, but all of that is like speaking a foreign language. My oldest will be doing PreCalc next year using Chalkdust. But if you don't have a clue then how do you grade it. I'm already just handing him the key if he doesn't have exactly what is there so he can see where he went wrong. ( I'm sitting there with him.) There was one problem set a chapter ago that his answers were in a totally different form. I didn't know what his answers meant nor did I know what the answer set in key meant. So basically, I said let us look at the key. This is the form they want the answer in. So when you take the test, this is the form it needs to be in. So he looked it over and went, ok. He did fine on the test.

But I wonder, next year for Pre-Calc... How do I know he is truly understanding it? How do I help him if he gets stuck? How do I know if he is showing his work correctly or even grade for partial credit??

Seriously, he is beyond me in everything except literature and writing...

Christine

Any chance there is a math person in your church? I've been known to help kids in our church for free when they have questions.

You can always ask here too. We all have different strengths and different niches (none better or worse - just different). I love that we can all assist each other. ;)

I'll probably get rotten apples tossed at me...but I use Teaching Textbooks. Every problem is worked out on cd....step by step. I use it to grade the lessons and tests.

Or......maybe, your ds can do pre calc at the CC....

Or...maybe chalk dust has a solutions manual you can use.

Or.....maybe you can find a college student who is staying math to tutor your ds and check his work once or twice a week.

Or.....maybe there is an online class where he can submit the homework.

Anyhow, I have done all these things......

Math is not my strong suit...putting it very lightly....

Faithe

I'll probably get rotten apples tossed at me...but I use Teaching Textbooks. Every problem is worked out on cd....step by step. I use it to grade the lessons and tests.

Faithe

I'm certainly not going to throw tomatores. TT is what worked well for my kids although I didn't need the solutions CD at all. IRL I don't know of anyone it didn't work decently for, but I know the internet has a wider audience and not every curriculum will work for every student.

Faithe

This is what I did. LOVED Teaching Textbooks, and also they allow students/parents to call and speak with a tutor when they get stuck. It was invaluable to me.

Eventually, I had to simply let my son go to the community college because he wanted to be better at math and I just don't have the knowledge (or apparently the ability to learn anything beyond basic checkbook math) to properly assist him.

He's doing very well, and I am much more relaxed. :lol:

Christine --

Derek Owens has a PreCalc course done over the web:

http://www.derekowens.com/1112/course_info_precalculus.php

I haven't used him, but I know a friend who has used him for Physics and Calc for her dd and liked the courses.

Another option would be to hire a tutor to work with him once/week -- maybe a retired engineer or a college student? The tutor could help check his work, answer questions, and help you interpret the answer key.

Best wishes,

Brenda

We used Foerster's. Supplemented by Khan and Brightstorm. I bought the Solutions Guide and the Instructor's Manual that has a cd with all the tests, and syllabus scheduling. Dd has taught herself quite well using these. We paid about $100 all told for the texts and supplements. We need to be v. frugal but, high quality.

For math bright dc, Chalkdust w/phone support and letting dc check their own homework answers should be fine. You can grade the tests.

For us, with two liberal arts/creative bent kids, after suffering with ds and precalc. I have decided to do another year of algebra for dd next year following Algebra 2 this year. I am picking a harder text and reinforcing algebra skills. She can take more when she is older and at college with a real math teacher!

Thanks everyone. It isn't that I'm worried about him understanding it. I'm afraid that I will shortchange him with these kinds of issues:

Showing his work.. I really don't have a clue anymore how much of the work should be show. Did he put the answer in the correct form? How much should he use the calculator? He can get the answers but does he understand the why behind it??

I guess I'll ask around at the high school. I'm just seeing such a difference in AP STats. If I had tried to teach this to him or rather had him do this himself as I first planned, he wouldn't have gotten it. The teacher feedback has been invaluable. My showing him the sample answers on the AP questions sets would not have cut it.

I'm just so scared that I am shortchanging him in his best area..

Christine