Menu

Is there such a thing as an unbiased church history spine?

I am wanting my 6th grade son to get an overview of early church history, but I can't find a spine that isn't obviously Protestant, Catholic, or Orthodox. (It also seems hard to find something that is genuine history that is readable by this age group, period.) I understand that history is always

seen through the lens of the historian, etc.... but I am hoping to find something that at least gives everyone's point of view a fair look. I thought I would ask you all because I know we have smart people from each of those traditions on the board. Thanks!

ElaineJ

Take a look at this and this.

The latter is out of print but should be easy to find used. Its written by both a protestant and a catholic. I've just finished reading the first and it seemed pretty neutral to me.

With either book you will probably have to read and discuss together with a sixth grader. I tried having my then 6th grader read excerpts from the 100 Events book independently but he really did not like it.

Let me know if you can remember the title! I agree, there is no such thing as unbiased history, but some is a lot closer than others. some of the books I've been looking at have contradictory "facts", not just contradictory interpretations of those facts.

ElaineJ

Here's one that's worth considering, though it only goes up to 600 AD:

After Jesus: The Triumph of Christianity

It was published by Reader's Digest under the supervision of a diverse editorial board. There's a lot of information, and the photographs and original artwork are very well done. There were stacks of these on remainder tables at one time in the late 1990's (I guess RD overestimated people's interest in this sort of book), and even now you can get a like-new copy for basically the cost of shipping.