Menu

Apologia Bio or BJU Bio - likes, dislikes? (m)

Can you tell me what you think of these programs? I am planning for the future and am in no hurry so I would really like to have many views of these programs. They both look incredibly boring to me, but I am old enough to know that not all subjects are going to be wildly exciting to our students or to me. :p

I do though, want it to be interesting and worthwhile. Have any of you used one and then another for another child? Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Warmly,

Kate

Kate,

I can't compare the two, but I can tell you our experience with Apologia Biology. I coordinated a biology class two years ago using Apologia and really liked it. While I loved science in hs, I was a journalism major and attorney, so no higher science background. I found Apologia easy to understand and facilitate. I added in several hands-on projects, a video, a field trip and a guest dissector. We met every two weeks and I reviewed the chapter, but mostly facilitated the labs. We used the slide set from Home Science Tools.

As you know, Apologia always gets mixed reviews. :rolleyes: Because the text talks to the student, it is very manageable. And I knew my dc would be taking AP Bio later and, thus, Apologia wouldn't be their only pass through biology. Apologia seems heavy on microbiology and has little on human anatomy/physiology or evolution (of course).

HTH,

Lisa

My 11th grade ds, who is a science-guy, used all of the Apologia science texts, from Gen Science in 6th through Physics in 10th. While I also thought that the texts looked incredibly boring initially, my kids found them engaging. I found them extremely easy to use as the teacher/mom.

We have not used the advanced texts, opting instead for community college classes. My ds just completed his first semester of General Chemistry at the CC, and did well. So I think that speaks well for the Apologia chemistry text.

I will say that we chose to use co-ops or paid labs for most of the lab work with Apologia, but my first ds did all the General Science and Physical Science experiments at home with no problems at all.

I know you want comparisons, but we have not used anything else. I have a second ds who has used Gen Science, Physical Science, and is now in Biology -- and is enjoying the same success as my first ds with the series. I would strongly recommend Apologia to home schoolers. With the Apologia texts, I have found that science is one area I don't have to "tinker" with year-to-year, and that has been a huge help.

Good luck! ~Brigid

We started with Apologia and quickly bogged down. I switched to Bobby Jones and found it much easier for my son and I who do NOT have science brains. The chapter in BJ are very concise and easy to understand. The work load is not overwhelming. You can get CDs with the labs. I thought it was a much friendlier program for a person who majored in English in college and took geology for her science credit so she would not have to face biology.

I thought it was a much friendlier program for a person who majored in English in college and took geology for her science credit so she would not have to face biology.

OK, this made me completely smile! I did the same thing!! LOL

About the CDs - are they only the lab work and do they watch them or do the lab with the teacher?

Thanks!

Warmly,

Kate

Apologia seems heavy on microbiology and has little on human anatomy/physiology or evolution (of course).

Did you feel it was necessarily to supplement with anything? I also think it is the heavy emphasis on the microbiology that makes me pause with Apologia. I am wondering just how important it is to study this so in-depth and leave the human anatomy out. Your thoughts?

Thank you so much for taking the time!

Warmly,

Kate

I haven't used the biology texts for Apologia or Bob Jones, but I have taught physical science using both. I prefer Bob Jones because the format is very clearly laid out. I also think(and I have heard this several times from others on this board), that BJU is a bit more advanced. I plan on using BJU DVD's for biology next year.

I didn't feel the *need* to supplement because, my dc use the Apologia General Science text in middle school which covers human anatomy. I also knew my ds would later take either the Adv. Bio course or AP bio. I did add in some fun hands-on projects to jazz up our class. The 3-D cell model was especially fun -- two girls baked a *cell* cake and after cutting into it to show the class, we all ate it! The dissections were amazingly manageable. If you have the chance, I would highly recommend getting together with some others for dissection. We had at least 4 specimens (teams of two students each) and some specimens showed clearer examples of what we were looking for. We would probably have missed some features if we'd only used one specimen (esp. given my novice status).

HTH,

Lisa:)

Hi Kate,

I have had experience with both programs. There are positives for each and much would depend on how the class is to be implemented. My oldest son did Apologia Biol in co-op several years ago and my second son is using BJU Biology in co-op this year.

Because I don't intend to have my children do biology for 2 years, which limits the amount of other sciences one can do, I prefer the BJU. From my comparison of the two programs, BJU is much more comprehensive and interesting. The text itself is more appealing (which is always a complaint I have with Apologia texts) and the kids aren't over-dosed on microbiology. My preference is that high school biology cover the broad range of biology subjects in less depth than to have to take 2 years to cover biology in more depth.

I have to say, though, that having a teacher for the BJU who is a retired vet really helps. I think it would be harder for a non-science person to teach than the Apologia program. I have heard that some people feel BJU is AP level - I, personally, haven't compared AP texts with it. We don't do AP courses; we opt instead to take concurrent university level courses.

For my oldest, we rounded out the Apologia text with The Teaching Company's Human Anatomy & Physiology course so that I felt he had a "full" biology program (by my definition).

To make a biology course interesting, one needs to do a lot of hands on work. So, either program can be made interesting by doing a lot of labs. I would also recommend adding in videos, trips to nature centers, etc.

I have had some issues with BJU's textbook (i.e., its treatment of evolution and old earth creationism), but we've been able to get past those with discussion outside of class. I think you need to assess your goals for biology before picking a program. Another text I like is Campbell's biology - you might take a look at that. I have it, but haven't really used it other than to pull it out for alternative explanations.

There are a lot of good options out there. Check around and best wishes on your choice.

CynthiaOK

ds 18, ds 15, ds 13, ds 11.7

I haven't used Bob Jones, so I can't compare it with Apologia. However, we've had good success in our family so far with Apologia. Even though the regular Biology doesn't have the human anatomy and physiology component, the student is exposed to that in the General Science course. Frankly, I think it's better done in two courses, myself. I was a non-science major, but still took college-level biology, inorganic chemistry, and a full year of human anatomy and physiology. Since there is so much information in human anatomy and physiology, I liked having it as a separate course.

I also believe that, depending on your goals, Apologia will give your child a firm foundation in science. My children probably wont major in a science-related field. My oldest is doing the Chemistry course now, and believe me, it's far more chemistry than I ever studied in high school.

One of the things I think I would like, if I used Bob Jones, is the DVD component. I think the audio-visual aspect of that helps. However, there are hints that Apologia may head towards the same. Last year I e-mailed Dr. Wile, and received a response from Rusty Hughes (I *think*) that they were going to do a trial module of the Apologia Biology with a DVD component over the summer. I hope that they do; for some courses that would make it much more interesting and understandable, as well.

HTH!

:D

Oh, Cynthia, thank you so much. This is so helpful. Wow, I am so glad I posted this question here.

With regards to the retired vet - this is not a video, but a the teacher leading the co-op? What a blessing to you! Have you seen the BJUP videos for this class?

If you were to do it over again, which would you choose if you had to pick one? I don't see my dd in a science field really ever. This is just to fulfil requirements, etc., but since I am also not particularly science-oriented, is it going to be doable if we choose BJ?

Thanks for your time!

Warmly,

Kate

That's a tough one. Apologia would work, but I'd recommend skipping some of the microbiology because it does get onerous. The labs are easily done at home and you can purchase a lab kit designed for that curriculum. And, unless you plan to do biology for 2 years, you'll need to supplement with a human body unit. Apologia covers human body in its general science course, but that is not going to be equivalent at all to what a high school unit would cover, IMO.

If you can afford it, BJU with videos would probably be my choice of these two. But that's a lot of money to spend for someone who isn't all that interested in science.

I simply cannot see spending 2 years on biology especially if the student isn't all that interested in it anyways. Another option I really like is Singapore O level. I have the biology and like the way it looks. It is inexpensive and very student-friendly. You can download sample pages of it at the singaporemath.com website. I will be using Singapore O level chemistry next year with my co-op class.

I wish there were a program that incorporated all the positives from each of these programs. Any chance that she could enroll in a science co-op?

No, there is no co-op for this in our area - online courses, etc., but not a co-op in that same sense. I may look into the online course as it is taught by someone who understands it. That is an option. Hmmm. Now you have me thinking! :)

I had not thought of Singapore. I will look into that too. Since I have five children, I would be willing to purchase something expensive for the first (since she is) that could be used by all.

And you are right, I have no desire to do Bio for two years! :)

Again, I really appreciate your time.

Warmly,

Kate