Menu

I must have lost my mind...

Let's start back a little. Today, my 3 girls were graded in karate. They all moved to the next belt, but technically, they skipped... hmmm.. new program for the little kids, they skipped from white to white stripe which is typical in most clubs for children, now every the club introduced a new system for the little kids as many are really young as young as 4. So now there is white-yellow stripe, white-orange, white-green, white-blue, white-red, and the white stripe(white with black stripe). I would expect that the 2 older girls be the white with black stripe, which they earned. The little one, 7 years old, earned it as well, bypassing several kids who had their white-black stripe belts, that were regraded to various white-colored, about 1/2 of these kids were older than her :)

The senseis were very impressed with her obedience, aptitude, respectfulness and memory to do sequences. When one found out they were homeschooled, he nodded his head, and commented that that must be why, minimal negative influences on her.

Anyway, as usual I'm side tracked. I signed up for karate. :lol: They are all going to be a belt ahead of me, although technically, I have already earned my yellow belt last year, but a different club. I didn't like the club, but I miss learning karate. This club isn't nearly as serious, as intense, so I'm hoping this is better for me. With no further injuries.

Geez, approaching 40 and looking to get my butt whooped. What am I thinking?

Congratulations to your dds, all of them, and especially the youngest! :)

My dh and sons take a family karate class. There are many parents taking classes along with their children. I love love love seeing them practice together and hearing them talk karate. I love seeing the confidence my mom friends have gained as they have progressed through the belts. You're not crazy at all. Congrats and good luck!

Cat

They are all going to be a belt ahead of me, although technically, I have already earned my yellow belt last year, but a different club.

They won't honor your previous training??? When I left my classes they said that all I had to do was present my most current belt to whoever I trained with next to recieve credit for the time spent in earning that belt.

My dh and sons take a family karate class. There are many parents taking classes along with their children.

:iagree:This was my experience as well when I was taking classes.

I haven't approached them, but they 'may' honor it, depending on which umbrella organization. It doesn't really matter, they will promote as soon as I meet requirements, I don't remember the kata in it's entirety, so it will be a couple weeks. I will ask him though about it.

I started karate at age 40. But, I have no intention of getting my butt whooped! If you do, then, YES, I think you are crazy! :tongue_smilie: I switched karate styles when I move (new state) and thus began again as a white belt in my new dojo. My sensei runs a very traditional dojo which I really love. There is no sport karate there.

If you do, then, YES, I think you are crazy! :tongue_smilie:

I don't have any intentions of being whooped. However, most of the class are the older teens, and my personal experience is they are the most dangerous due to lack of self control. I have addressed this already, and will give it a try.