Menu

RightStart Worksheet Supplement?

Green Vixen

Hi everyone,

I just ordered RightStart A for the fall and am wondering if there is a workbook that I could supplement with it? My problem is that I have some health issues and know that RightStart is teacher intensive. My plan is on my good days to do RightStart, but I would also like a workbook to reinforce what he's learned and can do himself for my bad days when I won't be able to help him much.

I am comfortable with math and am looking for something secular. From my reading here I like the idea of Singapore, MM, Miquon or MEP. Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

Marisa

When we used RightStart we started using Math Mammoth worksheets as a supplement. It ended up that we used MM more because it was so much easier to hand her worksheets! I am not very proud of that though, as RightStart is so much better, imo, for the early years. I also got Singapore's Challenging Word Problems, but I wouldn't use them yet if you're on RS A.

Miquon and MEP are also teacher-intensive, so if you're looking for simpler things to do on certain days, I'd use Math Mammoth. It's very affordable, check out the HSBC this week!

I just noticed your DS is 4. Yes, I agree with the poster below. Math Mammoth is more for Grade 1-ish.

Edited by Satori

I would do RS when you can and not worry about it on the other days. Really. That's how I approach Level A, and my dc haven't been harmed at all. For K I usually alternate with a reading lesson one day and a math lesson the next day for three-four days/week.

I'm doing RS A with my 4 year old now. I would not use MM unless your child is *really* good at writing. And even then, it is a first grade curriculum, not K level (as RS A is). So I don't think it'd be a good fit. I plan to move to MM as soon as my son is ready (I'm using it for my first grader and love it - he's done 1A, 1B, and is in the middle of 2A).

We just did lesson 7 of RS A today, and it seems to actually be a bit light at the moment, but I'm hoping it will move a little better soon. At any rate, I plan to get Singapore Essential Math K books A and B to supplement. I've seen both books at a friend's house, and I think my son could easily do A now, and B would be great once we get farther into RS.

At his age, I would make very good use of the games. They are fun for the child and really train the math thinking. You could very quickly teach other people in your life (DH? Mom? MIL?) how to play addition war (as an example) and your son will enjoy using those math skills.