Menu

Talk to me about art supplies.

I know nothing about "better" or "good" art supplies. We do Crayola for markers, colored pencils, crayons, and construction paper. However, I am going to start using Artistic Pursuits in an effort to make sure art gets done around here and their list is as follows:

Ebony Pencils

Vinyl Eraser

Sketch pad

Chalk pastels

Oil pastels

Watercolor Crayons

#8 round watercolor Brush

Watercolor paper pad

Colored paper (preferably cardstock)

Black card stock or heavy paper

Tissue paper

self-hardening clay

black liquid tempura paint

On which items should I splurge? What are "better" brands? Can I substitute watercolor pencils for crayons if my kids like using colored pencils better?

I know nothing about "better" or "good" art supplies. We do Crayola for markers, colored pencils, crayons, and construction paper. However, I am going to start using Artistic Pursuits in an effort to make sure art gets done around here and their list is as follows:

On which items should I splurge? What are "better" brands? Can I substitute watercolor pencils for crayons if my kids like using colored pencils better?

http://www.dickblick.com

Here is her link to the specific products:

http://www.artisticpursuits.com/1120suppk.html

The Artistic pursuits lady puts in brands, and I stuck with them. I was *very* pleased with what she advised. Dick has good prices. He also has a store in Seattle.

Those "watercolor crayons" are much "richer" than the pencils and blend and glide when you wet them in a special way. You won't get the same thing with the pencils.

It won't make or break the program, but the "niceness" of her choices have made art more fun for both of us. IMO.

Edited by kalanamak

I agree with the above. The products recommended are fabulous and will last a long, long time. Plus Dick blick prices are amazing (and there are always extra "specials"). I highly, highly recommend you get the watercolor crayons btw - they are by far some of our favorite items (me included). They are just special!

When my girls were little we used 'kiddie-type' products and they were quite often frustrated with the results. Around 4th grade or so we started switching to better stuff. They love prismacolor brand pencils and markers. Since they are available at Michael's I make sure I use one of the weekly 40% off coupons to make them more reasonable.

Good luck with the shopping, and have fun. "real" supplies are worth it.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Art is not my thing but I want my kids to have a chance to see if it is theirs. :)

You know, it isn't mine either. I'm not talented, and had no instruction in it whatsoever, but I have grown to really like it. It is amazing what some NICE things in your hands can do. When I was little, it was 10 pan water colors, a small box of crayons and some construction paper. In high school, there was clay. Nothing, and I mean NOthing else. No wonder I loathed it.

I quit AP when it wasn't getting done and moved onto Atelier, and I look forward to it as much as kiddo. Who'da thunk it?

P.s. Joanne, your new townie, loves art and has a dab hand at it. :)

You know, it isn't mine either. I'm not talented, and had no instruction in it whatsoever, but I have grown to really like it. It is amazing what some NICE things in your hands can do. When I was little, it was 10 pan water colors, a small box of crayons and some construction paper. In high school, there was clay. Nothing, and I mean NOthing else. No wonder I loathed it.

Did we grow up with the same art teacher? We only had art through the 3rd grade and then the art teacher got married and moved away and our school district never hired another one (at least not before I graduated).