Menu

Kindle vs Sony reader

I'm just beginning to look into these, and I'm rather technologically challenged, so there's a lot I don't know. Are there any major advantages or disadvantages to one or the other? Can you download ebooks from anywhere, even free sites? Or with the Kindle, can you only download from Amazon? Can the Sony download books from Amazon?

Thanks for any info you have. I don't know anyone who has one of these so, once again, I am dependent on you guys!

I'm just beginning to look into these, and I'm rather technologically challenged, so there's a lot I don't know. Are there any major advantages or disadvantages to one or the other? Can you download ebooks from anywhere, even free sites? Or with the Kindle, can you only download from Amazon? Can the Sony download books from Amazon?

Thanks for any info you have. I don't know anyone who has one of these so, once again, I am dependent on you guys!

I have the Sony. I haven't seen the Kindle but I have read the reviews. One major complaint is that it's heavy. However, it can download wirelessly. It sort of depends upon your needs.

I don't know if the Sony can download books from Amazon, I haven't tried. You *can* download from free sites *but* they are mostly pdfs and they wind up being too small to read on the screen.

DH loves his Sony reader. While I like the look of it, it lacks the functionality I'd need to leave paper even occasionally. The Kindle has some of these features, but is ugly, heavy, and tied to Amazon. I'd want a built in dictionary of my choice (I'd be willing to pay for say the Shorter Oxford, which I love) which would be activated by touching a word, the ability to search, and the ability to tag text and copy and paste text via wireless to my computer.