Menu

Fraud warning

Hi Everyone,

I just received the following email from a friend at church. These are her actual words and this was her own personal experience, not a forward or something like that.

Be careful out there! (Does anyone know the origin of that last sentence?)

Yesterday I received a letter in the mail with a check for $1999 to pay the administration and taxes. The letter said that I had won a lottery for unclaimed winnings of $58,000. It said that I was entered from on-line games and publishers clearing house entry. This was the most legitimate looking fraud I have received. The check was a Wachovia bank check but it did say it needed a fingerprint and a watermark to be valid. There were a few flags as the letterhead said North Carolina and the letter was postmarked from Canada. Also the phone number I was to call immediately was a Winnipeg unlisted cell. My letter and check are now in the hands of the police, probably being forwarded to the postmaster for mail fraud. The police have seen these letters lately. Please be warned and warn relatives especially the elderly. Many people are tricked into sending a check or giving personal information to these people. I hope to save people from being victimized.

Our local news gives our warnings about frauds similar to this all the time. I noticed at the assisted living home that we go to weekly that they have a big notice about these kinds of things on their bulletin board too. It just makes my stomach clench when I see the news showing elderly people who have lost their life savings to things like this.

Hi Everyone,

I just received the following email from a friend at church. These are her actual words and this was her own personal experience, not a forward or something like that.

Be careful out there! (Does anyone know the origin of that last sentence?)

This happened to us a couple of months back, except we were told in the letter that we won because our Mastercard was used during Christmas time and we won the drawing. $68,000 dollars. All we had to do was send $2000+ to them to cover legal fees blah blah. It came with a REALLY legitimate looking check from Wells Fargo bank. Dh took the check to wells Fargo and said we pretty much know this is fraud but can you check to see if the check is legit. Come to find out the check was issued under an old Wells Fargo name. Not legit. Anyway, that is our story.

• 1 month later...

We get these all the time. Scammers trying to take us for a bunch of fools.

My son does a search on the promotion. It has always been either some one pfishing or a scam.

If it sounds too good to be true, or if you have a feeling that it's not quite right, ignore it...Or, using your computer, report it to the appropriate authorities, and block it.

Claire in NM