Menu

movie version of "Taming of the Shrew"?

My son will discuss this play next week (in a discussion led by Adam Andrews, of Teaching the Classics :001_smile:). Just wondering if anyone has a movie version of Shrew that they love? would recommend? would recommend we avoid?

Thanks!

Oh, and available on Netflix is a plus :001_smile:

~Laura

Thanks! You ladies are super. I love this board! :001_smile:

Since my son will be expected to discuss the original text, we'll watch either the Taylor/Burton one (which my husband just told me he saw in high school) or the John Cleese (love him!) film. I didn't know Kiss Me, Kate or Ten Things I Hate about You were based on ToS -- how fun! We'll definitely put those in the queue for after the class.

Thanks again!

~Laura

We really enjoyed the BBC version with John Cleese. It's the older one, 1980 maybe? We got it from Netflix.

hth,

Georgia

Another vote for this 1980 BBC TV version!! Although it is a videotaped stage version -- light on sets/props -- I LOVE the simultaneously funny and gentle rendering of Petruchio by John Cleese! At the very end, with his "Kiss me Kate" line, you really feel he DOES love her, and he DID love her throughout the process, and did it all for her love. (See it here at Netflix.)

In the Richard Burton version, you feel like when he says that line -- then lustily chases her off screen -- that it was all more about the libido than he genuinely loved her.

Just my 2 cents worth! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lori, I think that tipped the balance in favor of the John Cleese version. I'll be watching it with my 14-year-old son, who loves Monty Python -- plus I'd rather steer clear of suggestive stuff when I'm watching with a teenage boy :001_smile:

BTW I often enjoy taped versions of stage shows, despite their shortcomings. We love the live, Central Park version of Pirates of Penzance with Linda Ronstadt and Kevin Kline.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

~Laura

OOPS! -- I didn't mean to say I thought the Richard Burton version was suggestive -- 'cause it's not. It's just he didn't seem to really care about her as a person in the way John Cleese plays it. It all seemed like it was about the money Richard Burton would get for marrying her. Whereas in the John Cleese version, at the end, he seems genuinely touched at her change of personality, and you feel she changed BECAUSE she felt he genuinely cared about her as a person -- it wasn't at all about the money everyone was betting on the outcome. :)

Hey, I'll have to look for that Pirates of Penzance at our library or online! Sounds like a fun pair to watch! Thanks!

OOPS! -- I didn't mean to say I thought the Richard Burton version was suggestive -- 'cause it's not. It's just he didn't seem to really care about her as a person in the way John Cleese plays it. It all seemed like it was about the money Richard Burton would get for marrying her. Whereas in the John Cleese version, at the end, he seems genuinely touched at her change of personality, and you feel she changed BECAUSE she felt he genuinely cared about her as a person -- it wasn't at all about the money everyone was betting on the outcome. :)

Hey, I'll have to look for that Pirates of Penzance at our library or online! Sounds like a fun pair to watch! Thanks!

Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying! :001_smile:

Here is the Pirates we love. Very athletic and energetic. With catlike tread ... :D