Menu

Does anyone here actually use the recommended science in WTM?

My son is using the geology one this year, and will use the astronomy one next year. I don't think they're strong enough texts to use on their own. I'm having him read the self-teaching guide as an introduction before turning to his college level textbook. This year we've been using both texts simultaneously, but it's a pain since the topics aren't aligned. Next year I'll have him read the self-teaching guide all at once at the beginning of the year, and then move on to the main science text.

Edited by Melanie

I think they may be just the thing for students that take a "just the facts" kind of approach to science. I don't see the point in paying for a textbook just so my child can look at the pretty pictures. If there are things she doesn't understand I can supplement with library books and computer resources. Most of my science curriculum funds are going to buy the materials needed to do experiments. Don't get me wrong, I love the shiny new textbooks just as much as any educator does. But my children don't go back and re-read their textbooks for fun like they do other books so it's hard to justify spending over $100/textbook year after year, textbook after textbook. At least, not for older dd who really despises textbooks.

Don't get me wrong, I love the shiny new textbooks just as much as any educator does. But my children don't go back and re-read their textbooks for fun like they do other books so it's hard to justify spending over $100/textbook year after year, textbook after textbook. At least, not for older dd who really despises textbooks.

You do not have to spend that much on textbooks if you do not buy the most current edition new. A $100 textbook can be bought for a few bucks used in a older edition.

I have looked at the excerpts and TOC of the Physics book on Amazon and consider it insufficient.

That is what we are doing for biology after trying to use a textbook. She didn't like it but she is liking the self teaching books. She outlines the chapters and listens to the lectues on Brightstorm. I just have to get off my caboose and get some labs together.