Menu

More car help? Jeeps, Mitsubishi, Kia, VW

Those who read my frantic plea about talking me out of the Subaru know I'm car shopping. Three days ago, I thought I was sure I wanted to go ahead and get the Forester, and my husband has been negotiating with the dealership since yesterday afternoon.

Then I found out a couple of things that I didn't know that, in combination with the unpleasantness of the whole negotiating thing, may have turned me off that vehicle.

I have some time tomorrow afternoon and have decided to go look at and possibly test drive the following small SUVs:

Kia Sportage

VW Tiguan

Jeep Compass Sport

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

What I'm looking for is the best possible combination of reasonable gas mileage, comfortable seating for five (including the teens who might need to ride in the back), room for the dog, manual transmission, Bluetooth and iPod connectivity with steering-wheel mounted controls and no leather anywhere in the car (vegan). It would be nice if I could get one teeny cool feature (sunroof, fun interior lighting, etc.), but not mandatory.

I'd like to spend less that $24,000.

Mostly because of the manual transmission / leather free thing, I'll be stuck with the base models in all of these vehicles.

I'd love to hear from anyone who owns one of them? Do you like it? Is it comfortable? Are your children ashamed to have their friends carpool?

Okay, I'm kidding about the last one. We're not that shallow. But I would love something that wasn't completely boring and "normal."

Anyone care to share?

Thanks!

I spent a couple of years looking for a perfect small suv. You need to test drive each of them on a hot afternoon with all 5 people. It is really the best thing. I was pretty certain I wanted a particular suv, but by the time the fussy kids got in it I figured out it just wasn't right for us (the hip room was off and the backseat angle wasn't right and the kids were touching each other and the doors didn't open to quite the right angle and cup holders weren't in a good spot and....). Another vehicle of the same basics size made us all happy and smiley, but I wasn't happy with the price. The story went on for a very long time, but the moral is that all the paper comparisons in the world don't help as much as the fussy kid test.

Besides, no pushy salesman is going to want to badger you to make a deal today when your kids are hot and tired. :)

oh - and do you need an suv do you want the clearance or just the space for a dog? what about station wagon? The VW jetta station wagon gets great gas mileage.

Edited by Karen in CO

Yes, I have an Outlander (not the newer Sport that you are considering). But it is the latest style of it, a 2008 model. We absolutely love it. It's the first vehicle I've ever had where we actually get and exceed the anticipated gas mileage.

Here's an interesting thing we recently found out: nobody around here is getting out of them! Two dealers, one over 100 miles away, have sent mailings asking us to sell them our Outlander, for an outrageous (for a dealer) uplift over Kelley Blue Book value. So, I guess we're not the only ones liking the vehicle. ;)

As for ipod connectivity, my '93 Mitsubishi sedan had an MP3 jack with the standard radio back then, so they've been doing it a long time. Bluetooth is integrated with the steering-mounted buttons on my Outlander, but I don't use it. My husband does though, and he's never had a stray comment, so it must work fine. (I like the car to be my "time out" time from the phone.)

I did drive a Jeep but it was so long ago that it would be wrong to say anything, as I haven't any experience with the current models. Good luck with your choice. We're starting to look for our next vehicle...not to replace the Outlander. It'll replace our sedan. :auto:

I, too, have an Outlander. Ours is a 2004. I LOVE my car. I still see it in the parking lot and smile, as I love it so much.

We have 90,000 on it so far, have not had any major problems (just normal maintainence), mileage is quite decent, and I love driving it. The only things that bug me after 7 years are that the seat belts aren't retracting quite as quickly, (thus, getting stuck in the door), I wish it were a bit bigger inside, and that we got the one with the sun roof.

I think that all those cars are pretty comparable, and you should see which one you like the best and see what deal you can get.

oh - and do you need an suv do you want the clearance or just the space for a dog? what about station wagon? The VW jetta station wagon gets great gas mileage.

I'm doing the preliminary search online, after which I go alone or with one person to the dealerships to see the vehicle and, if I decide to try it, do a test drive. Once I'm pretty sure I want a certain one, I take everyone who's available to do a final look / drive.

My case is different, too, because my kids are both teens. I want the seating for five because I often end up driving their friends, too. And I've been pretty useless for carpooling as long as I've had the MINI.

I honestly don't care if it's a compact SUV or a station wagon, as long as it otherwise fits our needs and is something I can see myself driving.

I've looked at the Jetta several times online and once in person. I was sure it would be my favorite, but I didn't even want to test drive. I didn't care for the interior at all (and that's where I spend the most time). And, because I've stuck in the base model to avoid leather, I can't do anything to improve the situation. It also has few of the other features I want in that model.

It's a shame, because I really wanted to love it.

Yes, I have an Outlander (not the newer Sport that you are considering). But it is the latest style of it, a 2008 model. We absolutely love it. It's the first vehicle I've ever had where we actually get and exceed the anticipated gas mileage.

I, too, have an Outlander. Ours is a 2004. I LOVE my car. I still see it in the parking lot and smile, as I love it so much.

Very good to hear! Thank you both.

The Outlander has jumped to the top of my list, along with the Kia, because I discovered while doing some more searching that they are both EPA SmartWay certified. Since I already have guilt about buying a vehicle that gets significantly fewer miles to the gallon than my current one, this would ease my conscience a bit.

(Edit: Ooops. It wasn't the Outlander. It was the Jeep Compass. The Outlander does well, though. It misses the certification by only one point. Sadly, the VW Tiguan gets pretty dismal ratings.)

Thanks again!

Edited by Jenny in Florida

this is what we are looking at...

img_trim_mz5_ext_silver.jpg

Select a transmission:

6-Speed Manual

MAZDA5 Sport

• 157-hp, 2.5L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine with VVT
  • 6-speed manual transmission
  • Mileage city/highway (mpg): 21/28†
  • Halogen headlights
  • 16-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
  • Variable-intermittent windshield wipers
  • Automatic climate control with pollen filter
  • Power windows with driver's one-touch down/up feature
  • 2nd-row captain's chairs with under-seat storage
  • 50/50 split fold-down 3rd-row seatback
  • AM/FM/CD/MP3-compatible stereo with 6 speakers
  • Advanced front air bags, front side-impact air bags and side-impact air curtains‡
  • Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)** & Traction Control System (TCS)

5-Speed Auto

MAZDA5 Sport

• 157-hp, 2.5L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine with VVT
  • 5-speed Sport automatic transmission
  • Mileage city/highway (mpg): 21/28†
  • Halogen headlights
  • 16-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
  • Variable-intermittent windshield wipers
  • Automatic climate control with pollen filter
  • Power windows with driver's one-touch down/up feature
  • 2nd-row captain's chairs with under-seat storage
  • 50/50 split fold-down 3rd-row seatback
  • AM/FM/CD/MP3-compatible stereo with 6 speakers
  • Advanced front air bags, front side-impact air bags and side-impact air curtains‡
  • Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)** & Traction Control System (TCS)

the other models have the blue tooth, but are automatics : (. i dont' know if they can add it on or not....

we like the miles/gallon, the crash test results, the cloth seats, and the idea that the seats can collapse into the floor for when the olders aren't at home....

hth,

ann

Our Honda Odessy's transmission seemed to have died late in the day on Christmas Eve and we were going to have lots of territory to cover during the holidays. We had test driven several cars that summer and fall with our three boys and called/had messages forwarded to all the various reps of our favorite vehicles. Two dealerships that got back to us were Jeep--one even offering to loan us a Jeep for the long weekend! We bought a Wrangler that day. The customer service has continued to be remarkable. The Jeep maintains one of the top resale value and most durable transmissions. We tend to drive our cars 200K+ miles. Our iPhones and iPads plug in. There is a sixth gear for better highway mileage. When we had a thick long-lasting layer of ice on our roads our Jeep was reliable. I took the boys out for Wendys's Frosty as a reward for getting their monthly test papers finished but nervously watched as customers were stuck and sliding in the icy parking lot w/ no bags of salt availae at the stores. I hadn't yet practiced shifting into the different overdrives as my husband suggested but I did it --I am woman!

Jeep navigation options: Quickest route

Shortest route

Off-road route!

Select a transmission:

6-Speed Manual

MAZDA5 Sport

I liked the look of that one, too. But the Bluetooth (and steering-wheel mounted controls) aren't available on a model that has a manual transmission and no leather. As I recall, the only way to get those features on any Mazda model is to go with the leather-wrapped steering wheel.

Thanks, though. I'll be interested to hear how you like the car.

(Edit: Ooops. It wasn't the Outlander. It was the Jeep Compass. The Outlander does well, though. It misses the certification by only one point. Sadly, the VW Tiguan gets pretty dismal ratings.)

Thanks again!

Does the Outlander still retain its Partial Zero Emissions status? That was a neat find at the time we were looking...and why we decided to go new v. used.

Have fun making the final decision! Most of the vehicles out there are so fabulous these days, you can be quite picky! :)

Does the Outlander still retain its Partial Zero Emissions status? That was a neat find at the time we were looking...and why we decided to go new v. used.

Have fun making the final decision! Most of the vehicles out there are so fabulous these days, you can be quite picky! :)

As it turns out, the Outlander may be off the list. My local dealership tells me they don't have any manual transmissions and probably can't get one, let alone in the color or with the features I want. Apparently, Mitsubishi allocates only so many of the base models per dealership, and they've had theirs.

It looks like the PZEV version is available only in states that require it, and Florida doesn't.

I'm actually not having fun anymore. This has become extremely frustrating, both the lack of selection of vehicles with my basic requirements and the lack of customer service at these dealerships.

I'm sure I'll find something, but it will have to be fantastic to make it worth the time and hassle I've invested already.

Oh Jenny, bummer.

:grouphug:

That's a good piece of info that you uncovered, but I understand your frustration. If you decide you really like that vehicle, I'd cast my net wide to get what you want. Can you check out the internet to see if any dealer within a couple hours drive has it?

Again, best of luck! It sure can be a time-suck though.

Would a JEEP Cherokee fit the bill? We love ours. I have driven them brand spanking new, but now we have a couple of older models. Mine has 145K miles and my son's is pushing 250K. With the proper care they can last a long time.

I am biased but I'd have to vote for the JEEP, even the Compass model. But I don't know if that's as rugged as the Cherokee or if it's just designed for street driving. Either way, if you can find any dealers with 2010 model year vehicles you would get a better price on that than on a 2011.

Would a JEEP Cherokee fit the bill? We love ours. I have driven them brand spanking new, but now we have a couple of older models. Mine has 145K miles and my son's is pushing 250K. With the proper care they can last a long time.

I am biased but I'd have to vote for the JEEP, even the Compass model. But I don't know if that's as rugged as the Cherokee or if it's just designed for street driving. Either way, if you can find any dealers with 2010 model year vehicles you would get a better price on that than on a 2011.

I think the Cherokee is more car than I need. I'm not planning on any off-roading any time soon. I just want a vehicle that will carry four or five adult-sized people and the dog in relative comfort, gets reasonably good gas mileage, is moderately fun to drive and has an interior that is comfy but will stand up to a certain amount of teen-boy-and-dog abuse.

It's nice to hear someone speak up for the Jeep in general, though. Of the ones I saw today, it was probably my favorite. They already found out that there is not a Compass of the model I need anywhere remotely close. Now, I'm waiting on a phone call to tell me if it will be possible to order one from the factory equipped as I requested.

So, the sage continues . . .

Oh Jenny, bummer.

:grouphug:

That's a good piece of info that you uncovered, but I understand your frustration. If you decide you really like that vehicle, I'd cast my net wide to get what you want. Can you check out the internet to see if any dealer within a couple hours drive has it?

Again, best of luck! It sure can be a time-suck though.

Thanks for the sympathy. I feel more than a little silly getting so wound up about this, but it's really getting to me for some reason.

I did try a couple of places online to check inventory on the Outlander. According to the car finder on www.cars.com, there are 287 Outlander Sports within 500 miles of me, of which 14 have a manual transmission. And all but one have a leather steering wheel and shift knob. The one remaining is not only a color I don't want, but it's almost 400 miles away.

I'll keep looking. And the dealer is supposed to call me if they turn up any at their branches.

I'll let you know if it works out.

Thanks again.