Menu

MM Light Blue--printing it out?

m0mmaBuck

I only have 2 levels so far (until the HSBC buy finalizes ;) ) and I made what I consider to be a mistake by printing out the whole 3A worktext because I can't easily file a day's lesson into his folders because it will often contain the first page of the following lesson on the back. (does that make sense?) For my 1st grader I am printing out a lesson at a time double sided so that he isn't daunted by what's ahead he just sees today's work and it is much easier to file. It may end up using a few extra pages over the year but I much prefer it.

I print a chapter as we go and then file it in a 3 ring notebook. I then pull out the work for the week and put them in our daily work folders. I print the pages on both sides and fast draft to save paper and ink. That has work well for us so far. I am considering making it in advance over the summer for next year when I have time but we did it this was as I started with MM after school started so I haven't made the time to do more than a chapter at a time.

Since I got a couple reams of paper super duper cheap last year (I can't remember if it was a penny each or 10 cents or something... it was one of those Staples deals), I've been printing it one-sided for grade 2. Easier to file. But I printed grade 1 front and back, fast draft color (so it's a bit lighter, but doesn't use a lot of ink and is still in color). I just did 1A at one time and 1B at another time. I don't have them binded, mainly because it's easier for my son to handle loose leaf paper. He has enough trouble writing as it is. I'm not throwing a binding into the mix. :D

When it was double sided, I had to do creative filing... writing at the bottom of a page "STOP!" and then I'd know to move that page to the next day to do the other side. My son was fine with that, but I really prefer the one-sided printed version.

I have been printing about 6 weeks' worth at a time. So for 2A, I printed chapters 1-3 for this 6 weeks. We just started chapter 3 this week, and I think we'll finish it after our next break (we do 6 weeks on, 1 week off). Then during our break, I'll print the next 2 or 3 chapters, depending on how much is there (I haven't looked to see how far we'll get).

Each book, A or B, has been a little over 100 pages so far. I think the higher grades have more pages per book though.

I printed the whole year 1A and 1B. I 3-hole punch them and put them in a binder. On the weekend, when I doing my lesson plans, I pull out the pages and put them in a folder for each day of the week. I print single side so filing is not a problem. We don't like bindings here, I tend to tear apart nearly every workbook and put it in a 3-ring binder.;)

I printed (1 sided) 1A, 1B, Multiplication 1 and 2 and Division 1, hole punched and put into binders. I just take out the pages we need each day. I have a laser printer so the ink really lasts a LONG time. The paper we buy is super cheap because we buy in bulk with our company.

I print front/back in color although I use quick print which uses less ink overall. I don't bind or hole punch. I staple the work into packets and we go through them one at a time. Sometimes we work back & forth between two packets. For example, we can use some of the Measurement or Geometry chapter (which doesn't require the same amount of brain power) while working on part of the place value chapter. I have tried to balance out tough sections with not as tough.

I printed out half the year at once and stapled it into a variety of packets. I keep it all in a hanging folder with a colored piece of paper separating completed work from new work. This system has worked out beautifully for us. My son likes seeing a completed packet and looks forward to new packets even if they're just a continuation of what we're working on. :001_smile:

I print a chapter as we go and then file it in a 3 ring notebook. I then pull out the work for the week and put them in our daily work folders.

This is exactly what I do...I would not have the pages spiral bound because sometimes I reprint a page to do again if there were too many errors...I then just hole punch the new print out and put it in the notebook with the original...

ETA: I print on one side and print in color on "the fast normal" setting...It is easier for me to have only one sided sheets...

Edited by TheAutumnOak
More to add

I print out the whole year at a time and have it spiral bound. It's easier for us to have a math "book", that way she can just grab it and start working. It saves time that way. She also likes the cover that she made for it. :) I do print off a few extra pages from time to time. The binding was less than $3 at Staples.

I completely stressed about the cost of printing .pdf curriculum. I calculated Staples was going to charge about $16.50 + $3 binding per year, double sided printing (assuming an average of 150 pages per semester). My jaw hit the floor, I posted to 2 boards and regrouped. I have 2 other curriculums I have to print also (Elemental Science and Writing with Ease).

My dh let me use part of the tax refund to invest in a laser printer and even let me get an all-in-one black and white with duplexing, wireless, the works. It was Brother MFC-7840W for less than $230 on Amazon with free shipping (other sites were cheaper but wanted over $45 for shipping). Using off brand toner, it prints for less than a penny a page. The printer will pay for itself in no time. My best friend and her neighbor have the same model and LOVE it

Ink is traditionally very expensive for home printing on most models.

You'll be hard pressed to find many on this board not a fan of MM so from the sounds of it, you can't go wrong - as long as you can find an economical way to print it off.

I intend to print each level as a book and just mark stop on the page so I don't have to think about it. If my kids get stuck on a topic, I can print off review pages as needed.

HTH...