Menu

Runners, do you suffer from P.C.D.? (explanation inside!)

P.C.D. = Pace Comparison Discouragement

I just made that up; pretty nifty, eh?:tongue_smilie: I'm a competitive person by nature, which is why I like to do a lot of races. I don't have it in me to run just for the sake of running; I need to be working toward a goal. But as I've said here before, I'm not a "natural" runner. I have to work hard just to be what others consider "average" at best. I guess you could say running, for me, is akin to eating large doses of humble pie.

So okay, I know I'll never be the creme de la creme. I know I should just do my best, not play the comparison and all that business. But...sheesh. I just can't get over how fast some people run, how well they do in races, without putting in a whole lotta work up front. Harrumph.:glare:

The other day I ran a 53:30 10K ~ a personal best. I should be happy, I know, and I do feel good about it. But among the very last runners among the handful who run this race. Women ten years my senior had finished and left by the time I crossed the line. What's up with that?! I confess, I feel kinda deflated when I do my best and I'm the slowpoke in the crowd. Sigh.

Do some of you suffer from the PCD malady? Is there a remedy?:001_cool:

I feel the same way! I know I shouldn't, but just like you, I'm competitive! I'm also not a natural runner. Last May, I did a 10K with the intention of just walking it, but I soon realized that I'd be the only one waggling behind and I put the pressure on myself to keep up! I won't even attempt the same race this year. But I do want to do some 5K's where I can feel less pressure! I don't wear myself out as bad with the shorter races and can feel better about competing. The Susan B. Komen Race for the cure was my favorite 5K last year because so many did it for fun that I was able to feel good about my time! It was NICE seeing ALL those people behind me!!!! :lol: I know it's silly but that's how I feel. If it wasn't for the competition, I wouldn't want to do it or I wouldn't stay motivated to exercise. It's just how I'm wired. So, I can relate!

Oh, Colleen, I can SO relate! Running with one of my sons today, he could "fast walk" as fast as I was running! When my dd goes out running with dh, they are just blowing the socks off of me. I'm not as competitive as you, I don't think. But I look at some of these women and just think, "How do they do that?" I console myself by thinking that PROBABLY:

1. They haven't had as many babies as I have

2. They have a LOT more freedom to train than I do

And then I remember how many interests I have and much I love doing other things in addition to running and why I'm doing it it in the first place. At the few races I do, I love seeing my kids cheer me on. I love beating my time from the previous year (sometimes), and I love to be part of a worthwhile community event, and I love to have my family out there cheering for ME!

I don't log as many miles as you and do a bit of cross-training for cardio and some strength training too. I am increasing my mileage a bit from 10 miles/week to ~ 13. I'll stick with this a bit and work on speed.

But yes, I can definitely identifiy with PCD!

:) Cindy

I'm not a natural runner either. I don't know how people can run so fast. Just the other day, I was homeschooling, watching out my window, and timing an older male runner (50?, 55?) who took the 1 mile circle "loop" in front of my house at about 6~7 minutes a pop. I thought, What's that about?!!! I couldn't do that if I lived 5 lives!

Anyway, I'm not a fast runner. I'd love to be one, though. In fact, you're a little faster than me. :001_smile: I honestly don't know what it takes to be one. I've heard/read that fartlek training helps speed. I rarely do such, but perhaps it would help. Have you tried it?

I love the new terminology! And am a sufferer of P.C.D. My running partner is almost ten years older than me, and sets the pace. She has been running longer than I have but still I feel some shame. I am trying to improve, and have, but I've got some ways to go.

I also play the "well they're twenty years younger than us" game. Whatever works! lol!

Oh, and BTW, my running partner is at least two inches taller than me. That MUST be why she can run faster!

I feel the same way! I know I shouldn't, but just like you, I'm competitive! I'm also not a natural runner.

It's kinda odd, isn't it? Being competitive and pursuing something that isn't really our natural bent? I guess I like the challenge.

The Susan B. Komen Race for the cure was my favorite 5K last year because so many did it for fun that I was able to feel good about my time! It was NICE seeing ALL those people behind me!!!! :lol: I know it's silly but that's how I feel.

:D I hear you!

If it wasn't for the competition, I wouldn't want to do it or I wouldn't stay motivated to exercise. It's just how I'm wired. So, I can relate!

Thanks for posting. I'm glad to know I'm not alone.;)

But I look at some of these women and just think, "How do they do that?" I console myself by thinking that PROBABLY:

1. They haven't had as many babies as I have

2. They have a LOT more freedom to train than I do

Yeah, that's true in some cases ~ "some" being the operative word. There was a woman running to 10K the other day who taught a water aerobics class I took years ago. I was in there solely for the purposes of physical therapy after having my fourth son. (A class primarily attended by retirees, one of whom assured me I didn't look a day over 40...not super comforting, given I was 33 at the time.:blink:) Any-hoo, the instructor was the Energizer Bunny. Ten years my senior, but a bundle of energy, nary an ounce of fat ~ you get the picture. I reassured myself that she likely didn't have children ~ or perhaps just a couple. And of course those kids had to be way older than mine, right?

Ahem. Come to find out she has six children. Several of whom were delivered via c-section. And they aren't really too much older than my set.

Ho hum. Let's not think about it, shall we?:ohmy:

It's all good, I know. I'm glad we can support each other here; you've been a real encouragement to me, Cindy.:)

Just the other day, I was homeschooling, watching out my window, and timing an older male runner (50?, 55?) who took the 1 mile circle "loop" in front of my house at about 6~7 minutes a pop. I thought, What's that about?!!! I couldn't do that if I lived 5 lives!

Seriously! Maybe I'll be like some of the older runners I know, who, like good wine and cheese, seem to get better with age.;)

I've heard/read that fartlek training helps speed. I rarely do such, but perhaps it would help. Have you tried it?

Oh, I'll be honest and admit there are a ton of things I could do to improve my race times. I don't cross-train. I don't do sprints. I run at the same pace, on the same surface, more often than not. The night before a race, I typically have a glass of wine and some ice cream and a few hours of sleep, max. So, clearly, I could make some adjustments in there. But truth be told, it still wouldn't make a great deal of difference. And in my heart of hearts, I'm happy as a clam to run 8:30 miles ~ if only I'd refrain from comparing my time to others'! And if I could maintain that pace for, say, 26.2 miles...:D

I love the new terminology! And am a sufferer of P.C.D.

Hey, with the myriad of labels that exist in our culture, surely "PCD" should pass as valid.:tongue_smilie:

I also play the "well they're twenty years younger than us" game. Whatever works! lol! Oh, and BTW, my running partner is at least two inches taller than me. That MUST be why she can run faster!

There ya go! I'd be way faster if I were just a couple of inches taller!:D

Funny thing about running ~ and actually one of the things I like about it ~ is that younger actually doesn't mean better. Yeah, there are bound to be some fresh-faced runners who finish early in the pack. But often, the bulk of the fast runners are older (comparatively speaking). Starting next year, I'll be in the 40-49 bracket, but I know there are a plethora of really fast women in that age group. They routinely surpass the twenty-something crowd. Kinda cool, really.:001_smile:

I know exactly what you speak of and I would be so pleased with myself if I ran a 53 min 10K (I'm still around the 60 min range). It's very disconcerting to be running out there and then to be passed by a group of little white haired old men. :glare: I do see a lot of the serious runners out there doing fartlek training but honestly, I just run for the meditative effects. I'm not sure if I'm willing to get that serious about running although it would be nice to run a race and not be one of the dredges sliding in at the end.

P.C.D. = Pace Comparison Discouragement

I just made that up; pretty nifty, eh?:tongue_smilie: I'm a competitive person by nature, which is why I like to do a lot of races. I don't have it in me to run just for the sake of running; I need to be working toward a goal. But as I've said here before, I'm not a "natural" runner. I have to work hard just to be what others consider "average" at best. I guess you could say running, for me, is akin to eating large doses of humble pie.

So okay, I know I'll never be the creme de la creme. I know I should just do my best, not play the comparison and all that business. But...sheesh. I just can't get over how fast some people run, how well they do in races, without putting in a whole lotta work up front. Harrumph.:glare:

The other day I ran a 53:30 10K ~ a personal best. I should be happy, I know, and I do feel good about it. But among the very last runners among the handful who run this race. Women ten years my senior had finished and left by the time I crossed the line. What's up with that?! I confess, I feel kinda deflated when I do my best and I'm the slowpoke in the crowd. Sigh.

Do some of you suffer from the PCD malady? Is there a remedy?:001_cool:

First of all, I think a 53 minute 10k is awesome, and now, thanks to you sharing that, I am experiencing PCD! That's a full 10 minutes faster than my 10k. :D

I do know what you mean - when I ran my first 10k in March, it was killing me to see people pass me, especially older or heavier people. :glare:

:001_smile:

It's very disconcerting to be running out there and then to be passed by a group of little white haired old men. :glare:

Hehehe...There's one fella in particular who always runs right around the same pace as I. He runs with this rather stooped posture, always hobbling a bit, leaving me wondering why he and I are the same pace. He must be well into his 70s ~ I can only hope to be going that strong at his age!

First of all, I think a 53 minute 10k is awesome, and now, thanks to you sharing that, I am experiencing PCD! That's a full 10 minutes faster than my 10k. :D

Hey, that time was AWESOME, especially for your first 10K. Truly! Are you aiming for another race in the near future?

Colleen, you'll get a kick out of this.

Here are my marathon stats:

Overall placement: 19863 out of 23664 finishers

Placement by gender: 5227 out of 6853

Placement in F30-39 age group: 2444 out of 3012

On paper that looks rather, well...sad. When I look back and see that I finished, I am happy. I have never compared myself to other runners because I don't run for stats. I run for the sheer love of running.:D

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have finished in 2:15! I am just not that kind of runner. It's all good. I have learned to let it go.

I think.;)

I won't be running a race anytime soon, but there is one coming up in November that I may do. It's marathon, 1/2 marathon or an 8k. I can't decide between the 8k or the 1/2 m. If I do the 8k, it would be just for fun, no pressure, and I may be able to convince some girlfriends to run with me. If I choose the 1/2, I'd have to get serious and would have to run alone. However, running a 1/2 has been one of my life-goals, so it'd be sweet to get it done. I dunno... ? (And then there's the thought in the back of my mind that I might be preggo by then, too. But that's a whole 'nother issue.)

Any thoughts or advice?

Oh, I hear you, loud and clear. PCD, yes, I have it!

Little story: I had been running for a year or so and convinced my best friend to start running. We enter a race just 3 weeks into her training. I let her know that everything is okay. I'm a slow runner and I'll walk with her if she wants, blah, blah, blah. So, what does she do? BLOW ME AWAY! Her first 5K is in the low 20 minute range. She hadn't even ran 3 miles before in her entire life. :glare:

My best friend's dh is a track coach and as I have lamented these exact same things, he reminds me that some of us (not me us but other us's) are born with mostly fast-twitch muscles...these are those who pass us and seem effortless in the process. Then the rest of us have mostly slow-twitch muscles, which means we can do longer distances but not as fast. Of course, there are those who have both and can do long/fast and thus produce PCD in us. I have asked him if it's possible to not have either fast or slow...I think I have slow/slow :001_huh:. FWIT, this somehow helps me as I run my races and get passed by 8 year olds and old-gray haired men....:glare:

I definitely do, especially when I'm at the Y and the tiny Asian woman on the next treadmill is cooking past me and I'm wondering how her little legs can continue at the pace showing on her console, yes I peeked, which is 2 above mine. ROTFL!