Menu

is this the usborne to use with sotw?

iona

• 7 months later...

I'm trying to watch our budget.

If you had to chose between

51RKhFJwpjL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU15_SS100_.jpg The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia

and

519n0J4NxlL._SL500_SS100_.jpg Encyclopedia Of World History

Which would you buy?

Neither one is available at my library! Unless I want to do an Inter-library Loan which only allows me limited time to actually use the book. So, purchasing one is a better option.

We've been The story of the world for the past 5 weeks without these. Will my 10ds and 8dd enjoy looking at it or is this more for Mom to research extra for the lessons.

fwiw, the Kingfisher is the one SOTW recommended for the logic age kids, so between the 2 I went with Kingfisher. Now I'm considering picking up Usborne, but not because of any deficit in the KF one, but just because...um...two is better? :lol: I need to spend $40 for an extra book? Hmmm.....

I doubt I need the Usborne, and KF has several pictures on each page and only a paragraph or two on each heading, so not too heavy for your age kids (my oldest is 8yo). We do use it.

A bigger factor imo is that the Kingfisher is a big hardbound book and the Usborne is a paperback with smaller pages. I've seen complaints about the Usborne bindings being weak. To get the Usborne in a hardcover (a requirement for an encyclopedia that will be used a lot, imo) you'd' have to pay twice as much.

Soooo, if budget is a concern and you can only get one, I'd vote for the hardcover Kingfisher, hands down! :D

I have both, and my kids currently appear to prefer the Usborne over the Kingfisher. I think they like the illustrations, and I like the internet links for enrichment. I think the Kingfisher is great too and we do use it sometimes when we just want a little more.