Menu

I want to add a spelling workbook to AAS, which one do you suggest?

Aludlam

I have been tossing around adding a workbook to AAS for DD9. It's not b/c we don't love AAS. It's because sometimes we just don't get to it. I have no intentions of stopping the program, but I know if we have something that she can do alone, it will get done everyday. KWIM? She should be further along than she is, but we are where we are. We are in book 3 of AAS. She's an amazing reader, though. So, I'm thinking about adding Spelling Workout (We did book 1 before switching to AAS in 2nd grade.) If we do that, which book do you think would correspond well with AAS3? What do you guys think?

thanks so much!

FYI: We all really love AAS.

I'm not a big fan of Spelling Workout, but I do like the Spectrum spelling series (you can find it at Amazon or Barnes and Noble).

If you want to save $, you can keep track of her missed words in writing, make a weekly list, and have her do activities/test each week on spellingcity.com.

We just added Spelling City games for my ds and he likes that. In fact, we added level 3. I already have all the words imput in there if you want those lists, I can share them with you. Just let me know and I can tell you how to search for my lists.

Blessings

I am also thinking of adding Spellctiy to my ds who is using AAS 3. I wonder if you could share your list with me, too? If you are willing, can you PM me about your list?

Thanks!

How to Spell workbooks are Orton-Gillingham based just like AAS. The programs are amazingly similar. It is like AAS took How to Teach Spelling as a base. (I am not saying that they did, just that it seemed that way to me when I first got AAS after using How to Teach Spelling.)

I would go with the above, the games suggested or Megawords.

Heather

How to Spell workbooks are Orton-Gillingham based just like AAS. The programs are amazingly similar. It is like AAS took How to Teach Spelling as a base. (I am not saying that they did, just that it seemed that way to me when I first got AAS after using How to Teach Spelling.)

Do we need to buy the How To Teach Spelling Teacher Guide or can we just use the workbooks?

Do we need to buy the How To Teach Spelling Teacher Guide or can we just use the workbooks?

If you are supplementing AAS with workbook pages, then you only need the workbooks.

If you want to add more difficult dictation to AAS then the teacher guide could help in that area. There are nonsense words, words, phrases, and sentences for each phonogram and rule.

If you are supplementing AAS with workbook pages, then you only need the workbooks.

If you want to add more difficult dictation to AAS then the teacher guide could help in that area. There are nonsense words, words, phrases, and sentences for each phonogram and rule.

Thanks, Carmen!