Menu

Readers for SOTW

Annie Laurie

Does anyone have a list of readers for SOTW 1? I am coming from Sonlight, where I'm used to having that scheduled for me. I know that there is suggested reading in the activity guides, but a lot of the suggestions are for young kids. Does anyone have a list of what their older child, who is reading well, read for readers?

And how well are they reading?

Boy of the Painted Cave, How the Greeks Won the War, Vacation Under the Volcano, A Grain of Rice and Miranda the Great come to mind, along with Usborne books, You Wouldn't Want to Be books and Good Times Travel Agency books. The ones DD read are all here, but this list includes read alouds too, so I can be more specific.

• 2 weeks later...
They would be in 5th, 4th, and 2nd so I would need to beef it up from what is suggested in the AG. They all read above grade level and can comfortably read chapter books.

Are you sure? The AG spans 3 or 4 grade levels starting at 1st and then has many books that are listed as "read aloud only" or "have an older sibling read this one".

I believe there really are quite a few books in the AG in the range you describe.

You could incorporate some of the Sonlight books, if you wanted.

Two suggestions--

For the youngers, Mary Pope Osborne's Odyssey series. For the olders, Rosemary Sutcliff's interpretation of the Odyssey, Wanderings of Odysseus.

Are you sure? The AG spans 3 or 4 grade levels starting at 1st and then has many books that are listed as "read aloud only" or "have an older sibling read this one".

I believe there really are quite a few books in the AG in the range you describe.

You could incorporate some of the Sonlight books, if you wanted.

Two suggestions--

For the youngers, Mary Pope Osborne's Odyssey series. For the olders, Rosemary Sutcliff's interpretation of the Odyssey, Wanderings of Odysseus.

Thanks ladies, I'll take a look through the AG again, it's been some time since I've looked at. I have a 4 month old who hardly sleeps so I'm not the sharpest right now. :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...