Menu

Read Alouds 101

We're not extremely organized, but I have a system of sorts. We use HOD and have scheduled in a read-aloud during our school day (from one of 9 different genres)...right now it's Trumpet of the Swan, and we read a chapter each day. We also have a few short readings scheduled each day for HOD...and my older two read a bit to me.

Before bed we read a bit. I'm currently reading aloud The Wizard of Oz, plus I let my middle two each pick a picture book. This doesn't happen every single night, but I try to get it in...even if it means they're up past bedtime. I'm also reading through the AO poetry selections. They are organized by month and I try to read through them each month over a couple of teatimes.

As far as book ideas, HOD has lots of great picks...I also like to look at other lit-based curriculum (Sonlight, MFW, etc.) for ideas. The same books pop up on multiple lists, so I figure they are not to miss!

ETA: You asked about systems--I love how HOD divides the books up into genres...it gives us such a variety. There is biography, adventure, historical fiction, fantasy, mystery, non-fiction, humorous, realistic fiction, and folk tales.

Edited by Holly

We read ALOT here. We start our day with a read aloud of a picture book in my bed. I so enjoy this way of starting our day. I use the booklists from 'Picture Perfect Childhood' by Cay Gibson. These picture books are not of the pre-school variety. They are fairly meaty. This month we have read about Einstein, Vikings, Leonardo DaVinci and Jackson Pollack, to name a few.

We start our learning time with another family read aloud. These books come from our bookshelves of books that I have encountered over the years. Some of these books are great literature, others are not but they are just downright fun or interesting. Right now we are reading 'Our Canadian Girl--Marie Claire' by Kathy Stinson.

During our learning time, I read to each child. This is alot but I want all of my children to have the same books read to them. I use Ambleside Online for these books. Each child has their own year to make sure that they are all exposed to the same classics.

I realize that this is alot of reading but it works for us. Readalouds are the best part of our day. :001_smile:

We usually have 3-4 going at a time here. I just alternate the reading, loop schedule-style and when we finish one, we start another. Right now we are reading Half Magic, Fifty Famous Stories Retold, The Adventures of Peter Rabbit (by Thornton Burgess) and The Oxford Collection of Fairy Tales.

I pull from lists like Sonlight and AO, as well as some of my old favorites, books that follow Ariel's interests (next up we have Boudica and her Barmy Army and The School Mouse), and others that have been suggested on these boards that I thought looked good.

My son is 7 and in first grade. I also have a son that is 5 who listens to most of our read-alouds. We are using Ambleside Online, adapted to fit the needs of our family.

~ Every day we read a chapter from our current read-aloud. We try to cover one book and one audio book per month.

~ On Monday we read a chapter from The Burgess Bird Book for Children.

~ On Tuesday and Thursday we read one of Aesop's Fables.

~ On Wednesday we read a chapter from Clara Dillingham Pierson's Among the ____ People series.

~ On Fridays we read one story alternating between Just So Stories, The Blue Fairy Book, and James Herriot's Treasury for Children.

~ Once per week we read a chapter of Paddle to the Sea for geography.

~ Once per week we listen to a chapter of an audio book for history. We're listening to The Cat of Bubastes right now.

~ Every other week we read a chapter of Mathematicians Are People, Too.

~ Once per month we read a story for philosophy.

Plus I read whatever books my 5-year-old brings me to read. My 7-year-old reads aloud to us a few times per week, as well, usually from history books.

ETA ~ I forgot about daily poetry and the bedtime stories my husband reads to the boys.

Edited by *Jessica*

We read ALOT here. We start our day with a read aloud of a picture book in my bed. :001_smile:

I love the idea of starting the day with a book in your bed. My daughters have recently started getting up before me and coming into my room. Maybe I'll tell them the new rule will be to come with a book in hand. :)

We read a lot here too ... but what we consider our main literature read alouds, I read during meals. At lunch, we usually read something lighter. We just finished The Mouse and the Motorcycle and now are reading Stuart Little. At dinner, we have a family read aloud. I usually eat quickly (it also helps me control my portions!) then read. We've read quite a gamut in the past year ... The Boxcar Children, Princess and the Goblin, Just So Stories, Five Little Peppers and How they Grew, The Jungle Books, different holiday books, and are finishing Mr. Popper's Penguins this week. Thinking about the original Bambi next. Maybe Mary Poppins. I generally read a chapter (or 2 if they're short) or a several-page portion (the Jungle Books took a long time) of a story.

I also fought our way through the Burgess Bird Book last year, we're enjoying Fifty Famous Stories Retold a lot better. We read an Aesop Fable every day. We read through children's poetry books at the rate of a two-page spread per day. We're reading through a book on manners at the same rate. We add other reading to our History and or Science time depending on the topic and availability.

I tend to be an "every day" kind of person, simply so I don't get confused, but that may change as we get more acclimated to our schedule.

We read aloud a lot here, too, but I don't really have a system. Sometimes our read-aloud coincides with our history study, but our read alouds are mostly random. I review most of them on my blog for Read Aloud Thursday, if you're interested. This is a meme which anyone is invited to participate in, so there are always lots of good links. I go back and post the links all nice-n-tidy in a post of their own on Fridays.

Right now we're enjoying Black Ships before Troy and Rascal by Sterling North.

We usually swap back and forth between having a literature RA and a history RA during the day. We read when ever we can throughout the day. I'd like an hour, but our schedule usually only allows about 1/2 hr. Currently we are reading The Golden Goblet but also started The Wizard of Oz recently. We'll go back to it after The Golden Goblet.

We also have a family book going at night. This is for about 15-30 minutes before DS heads to bed. I usually read while DH cuddles DS, but with the current book it's switched. We are reading The Hobbit and Tolkien is DH's favorite author so he gets the privilege of reading. (Before this it was Narnia, and I'm not sure what we'll do after The Hobbit!)