Menu

Tinnitus in kids?

Anyone ever have their child start having tinnitus brought on by a severe ear infection (with an eardrum rupture)? Did the tinnitus continue after the ear infection healed? If so, what did your Doc say? Any ideas? My son has an appt on the 23rd with the ENT, but I'm an impatient person. Would it change your opinion if we had a family history of this? The tinnitus is affecting his school and has kept him awake at night. He also says that sometimes things get really quiet, then his 'hearing comes back'. Just trying not to worry....

Edited by MyBlueLobsters

Tinnitus is usually just a minor nuisance, often temporary, from what I know about it. My daughter has it off and on due to a permanent hearing loss, but I've heard it can be caused by a simple wax build-up. Still, it is good that you are getting it checked out.

I have suffered from Tinnitus as well, and it is hard very hard to get to sleep. The dr's think I had a ruptured ear drum. I had no idea that I had a ear infection. Still go to the dr. and see what they have to say. It did eventually go away, but I still have a bit of ringing at night. why I have no idea, but it is there, only when I put the my head on the pillow on my left side. Also, have a fan on full blast in the room so it masks some of the noise. good luck, Praying for you child as well.

Karrie

:grouphug: It's hard when things like this happen to your dc, isn't it? I've had tinnitus since I was a child, probably because I had so many ear infections. I find it's easier to ignore the constant high pitch in my ears when there is some other quiet sound, like music playing quietly. On the other hand, "white noise" seems to make me more aware of it - the computer hum, the TV hum, the refrigerator hum.... While you wait for the doctor appointment, you might try playing some classical music very quietly in the next room from where he is working to see if that helps him or if it distracts him more. Also, pay attention for any changes in his ability to understand verbal instructions. Be sure to write everything down that you notice to share with the ENT. I'll be praying for your ds's complete recovery!

He said it changes from sounding like a bell, to a girl screaming, to 'foam rubbing together' to a constant hum that changes pitch. He used to LOVE reading, and still does, however he's really struggled recently reading as the noise seems to get worse when he's quiet and concentrating on something. I'm making a list for the Dr, thanks!