Menu

Favorite free resources for math, grammar, etc.

I thought I'd start a new thread to call attention to the many great free resources to use for various subjects. Here are mine. Please add yours as well.

MATH

MEP and CSMP

Ray's texts at google books

Arithmetic Books One and Two by Jacob Wm. Albert Young

Elementary Algebra and Plane Geometry by same author

Intellectual Algebra by David Tower (nice for setting up equations)

GRAMMAR

KISS Grammar

Sheldon's Primary and Advanced Language Lessons

First English and Introductory Lessons by William H. Maxwell

LATIN

Latin Book One yahoo group

BIBLE

Calvary Chapel

Padfield Bible Study

VOCAB

Glencoe Vocabulary 6th grade

Mary F. Hyde Derivations of Words

Latin and Greek roots flash cards at quizlet.com

WRITING/COMPOSITION

School Composition and Writing in English by William H. Maxwell

Chateau Meddybemps Story Starters

Ida Brautigam's Composition series, Books One, Two and Three

READING COMPREHENSION

Third and Fourth Year Language Readers by Franklin Baker and Thorndike

MISC

Librivox audios

Owl and Mouse maps

Zaner Bloser handwriting worksheet maker

Paula's archives for Drawing with Children

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

I think there was a fairly recent thread on this, you might want to do a forum search.

You can add Khan Academy to your list.

Thank you for the reminder about Khan Academy. What I actually meant by favorites are those you use and can recommend, and that's why I didn't do a forum search. I should have titled my thread appropriately.

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

Math: Number Stories From Long Ago by David Eugene Smith (google books; Graded Work in Arithmetic (there are eight books total, I think) by Samuel Baird (google books, or archive.org) We have been using both of these this year, and enjoying them. MEP is also one of our maths.

Latin: First Latin Lessons by Harry Fletcher Scott (same guy who authored the Latin:Book One available on Yahoo) My oldest is doing reading and translation work out of this right now.

Reading: My youngest boy is working his way through Blend Phonics and Word Mastery (from Don Potter's site)

Spelling: We have also used Zaner-Bloser's Spelling Connections. It was well liked by both the older boys.

We've also been listening to Mara Pratt's American History Stories available on Librivox.

The handwriting pages from DonnaYoung.org have been a lifesaver for us-so many line widths, blank tops, etc.

Math: Number Stories From Long Ago by David Eugene Smith (google books; Graded Work in Arithmetic (there are eight books total, I think) by Samuel Baird (google books, or archive.org) We have been using both of these this year, and enjoying them. MEP is also one of our maths.

Latin: First Latin Lessons by Harry Fletcher Scott (same guy who authored the Latin:Book One available on Yahoo) My oldest is doing reading and translation work out of this right now.

Reading: My youngest boy is working his way through Blend Phonics and Word Mastery (from Don Potter's site)

We've also been listening to Mara Pratt's American History Stories available on Librivox.

I love those Graded Arithmetic books! I have one of Harry Fletcher Scott's books, Using Latin, copyright 1961. I had no idea there was something in public domain by this author. Great find! Also like the Mara Pratt stories you found at Librivox---didn't know about those either.

Thank you for the links.

Could you please post the link for Ida Brautigam's Composition series, Book One. Could not find it in google books. Thanks!

A few more we use(d):

Fifty Famous Stories, Thirty More Famous Stories Retold, Stories from Don Quixote, by James Baldwin (all found on mainlesson.com or google books)

My oldest was reading through Don Quixote again today for fun and laughing out loud. :)

We are going to use Inquiry in Action (someone posted a link on here not too long ago) next year as we all stumble through chemistry together.

Classical Academic Press has quite of bit of freebies we have enjoyed for Latin (coloring pages, audio, videos, worksheets) on their website and on headventureland.com

William Linney's free audios for his Latin books are wonderful. So thankful I didn't have to buy anything other than the book.

My oldest boy has been doing writing exercies from Second Primary Language Book, by O.S. Reimold (google books), while the seven year old has been doing writing from With Pencil and Pen, by Sarah Arnold (google books once again).

Edited by Zoo Keeper

I love those Graded Arithmetic books! I have one of Harry Fletcher Scott's books, Using Latin, copyright 1961. I had no idea there was something in public domain by this author. Great find! Also like the Mara Pratt stories you found at Librivox---didn't know about those either.

:) Glad to help. We use Graded Arithmetic as our mental math by doing it mostly oral. I love how it uses all four operations in one lesson; this has really helped my oldest with his understanding of division.

Thanks for starting this thread; I was thinking of a thread like this a while back. I know everyone is in planning mode, and it might be a help to see that there are people who do actually use some of these freebies, and not just link to them. Sitting down and looking at the freebies I do use has encouraged me to rethink some of my Rainbow Resource order. ;) Like everyone else these days, our dollars have to stretch.

I have Using Latin sitting on my shelf as well! A local private school was going to throw it out when they were purging their book closets. I just have the student book, do you know if there is a teacher edition still available?

I'm using NCERT's Math Magic books (from India) as a supplement. I find them a great way to introduce real-life situations and various skills like estimating. They are bringing something else to the table, something both fun and thought-provoking.

:iagree:

On Stripe's recommendation I downloaded these and have really enjoyed using them as a supplement. For those with iPads, they look smashing on this device.

The English language series (is it called "Marigolds"?) is also very charming.

Bill

I'm using NCERT's Math Magic books (from India) as a supplement. I find them a great way to introduce real-life situations and various skills like estimating. They are bringing something else to the table, something both fun and thought-provoking.

:iagree:

On Stripe's recommendation I downloaded these and have really enjoyed using them as a supplement. For those with iPads, they look smashing on this device.

The English language series (is it called "Marigolds"?) is also very charming.

Bill

I thought I would add that on the NCERT website the files are now visibly "watermarked," which is done to prevent commercial piracy (which is understandable, but annoying). The same materials are available in unwatermarked versions for noncommercial use only at http://www.notemonk.com

Bill