Menu

Almost 6-year old writing

crazyforlatin

I haven't focused on any writing, except for a daily copywork sentence and have recently neglected even spelling (AAS2). DD is supposed to be in K. She reads very well (Hobbit, Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, etc.), but will hardly sit down to write from her imagination. It looks like I have to work on her spelling and her grammar. I did tell her these were 2 sentences but she insisted it was better as one.

Without any corrections:

Fantastick

I would cry as I jumped over the sky

Perfect

I would croon as I jumped over the moon.

We're done with WWE1, but I'm hesitant to begin WWE2 and I'm not even sure why I'm hesitating. More copywork perhaps, and for how much longer?

She's five?

She has great spelling.

She understands that you should capitalize the each line in a poem.

She understands to put a period at the end of a sentence.

(Never mind that she doesn't quite understand what a sentence is yet.)

You don't show her handwriting, but I bet it's amazing for a five year old.

She has a great sense of word play and a wonderful vocabulary.

She is having fun with rhymes.

She's experimenting with language.

Bravo.

I wouldn't worry about neglecting spelling. If she's spelling this well at five, she probably doesn't need much formal instruction. All About Spelling probably moves too slowly for her anyway.

I also wouldn't worry about WWE, especially since it sounds like you don't want to use it. WWE works on narration (summarizing) and copywork/dictation at the same time. WWE can be a bad fit when the child's ability to summarize doesn't match up with the skills that the copywork teaches. If you really feel the need to do a language arts program at this age, I would look elsewhere.

Have you done much poetry? My DD really loved MCT's Music of the Hemispheres.

Edited by Kuovonne

FWIW, I personally don't think you need to worry about formal writing instruction or spelling in the primary grades with an advanced student. My oldest didn't do any formal writing program aside from WWE until 2nd and was able to jump right in with MCT "town", Killgallon Story Grammar for Elementary, and The Paragraph Book series from EPS (all of which are written at a late elementary level). She didn't start formal spelling until 3rd, and placed into level G of Spelling Power.

Here's an example of my current K5er's writing as a comparison point (he is reading at about a 2nd grade level and just finishing up AAS1):

READ THIS RITE NOW

BUDLS NOCKT OVR THE IRNG BORD

SHE IS SUPRIZZD

Read this right now. Boodles [our nickname for his 2 year old sister] knocked over the ironing board. She is surprised.

She is five? Goodness, I don't think you could ask for better at such a young age! Obviously, you are doing everything right and I will be hesitant to change anything if I were you.

I think you can start with WWE 2 - you will soon enough know if she is not ready!

I would do more narration where she tells you her stories or non-fiction reports. It will help her organize her thoughts into complete sentences and complete paragraphs.

Thanks Jean for the advice. I have to admit we've been doing more copywork than narration and I can see why more narration time would be beneficial.

She's five?

Have you done much poetry? My DD really loved MCT's Music of the Hemispheres.

Thank you Kuovonne for the reminder on MCT. I have all the levels and forgot about Music of the Hemispheres. Generally DD doesn't write poetry but she sees the beauty in it. She read through parts of Music yesterday and seemed to really enjoy it.

FWIW, I personally don't think you need to worry about formal writing instruction or spelling in the primary grades with an advanced student. My oldest didn't do any formal writing program aside from WWE until 2nd and was able to jump right in with MCT "town", Killgallon Story Grammar for Elementary, and The Paragraph Book series from EPS (all of which are written at a late elementary level). She didn't start formal spelling until 3rd, and placed into level G of Spelling Power.

Here's an example of my current K5er's writing as a comparison point (he is reading at about a 2nd grade level and just finishing up AAS1):

READ THIS RITE NOW

BUDLS NOCKT OVR THE IRNG BORD

SHE IS SUPRIZZD

Read this right now. Boodles [our nickname for his 2 year old sister] knocked over the ironing board. She is surprised.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I also have the first level of Killgallon (and was even thinking of getting The Paragraph Series :blushing:) and saw the recent thread showcasing the amazing imitation sentences the kids are able to produce. It's the kind of writing instruction that I like. Kids who read a lot pick up different styles of writing, but Killgallon provides a formal way to practice. I think that's why I haven't really done much with DD's writing. She reads so much that I'm hoping she can recognize good writing and then in a couple of years I can sharpen that ability with MCT and Killgallon.

She is five? Goodness, I don't think you could ask for better at such a young age! Obviously, you are doing everything right and I will be hesitant to change anything if I were you.

I think you can start with WWE 2 - you will soon enough know if she is not ready!

Thank you for the encouragement. I have WWE2, so I better not waste it. I've hesitated only because it has dictation exercises, and dictation might be difficult for a young child.

I love her poem! I think she's doing just great for that age.

FWIW, we're not big fans of WWE either (we did WWE1), so don't feel guilty if you don't progress to WWE2.

Thanks Angela! With the amount that Satori writes, I can understand why WWE may not be a good fit. It's amazing what she is doing.