Menu

Ack! My Puglet is an escape artist. Any tips?

I had a visiting daschund who could open hers, too--wiley little devils.

We put notebook rings thru the wires in two places. You could use a clip (like you find at the end of a leash--even use the leash, I suppose). Make sure she isn't forcing the bottom of it out and sneaking out underneath--that's why we clipped in two places.

Save a few and use them to secure the door in several places.

I would recommend NOT using these as I have participated in many a surgery where we needed to remove these from the insides of dogs and cats and ferrets!

Carabeener clips, leash ends and make sure you are latching both top and bottom latch.

I have seen some escape artists pull out the suitcase style crates to escape and then once the dog is out it returns to its almost natural shape so check those areas as well.

A Puglet is a Pug puppy, although they do look like piglets. ;)

Okay, this makes sense. So, when do they stop being Puglets and become Pugs? We have a 1 year old Pug, does she still qualify as a Puglet? She still looks like a piglet. :lol:

BTW, do pugs ever calm down? She's the most insane little dog we've ever had. Our dog who passed this summer was half pug and she wasn't nearly this insane, even as a pup. We love her to death, but she's just nuts sometimes.

She is smart though. The other day she peed in the house (something she almost never does, so she must have had to go badly). I was upset and yelled at her that this was very bad and she ran to her crate and opened the door (it wasn't latched, but was closed), got in and pulled it closed behind her. She punished herself! FTR, we never put her in her crate as a punishment (she goes there when we're gone and if people are over and she won't calm down). James Bond and I both cracked up that she not only went to the crate, but opened and closed the door!

That's a good question, I don't know when dogs are no longer considered puppies. I've asked before when Pugs are "full grown" and haven't figured that out either. Both of our Pugs, one was 2 in December and the other will be 1 tomorrow are 18 lbs, yet so much smaller then other Pugs we see. So much that we've wondered if they are both part Boston Terrier even though we have paperwork. They have the Pug wrinkles, but Boston build.

Good grief! Those are small??? Our pug is all of 13lbs and big compared to some I've seen.

I'm curious if your "insane" Pug is a black Pug? Our black Pug is very lady like, but has a crazy streak in her like she's split personality. I've heard from others that their black Pugs were the wilder ones. She thinks the TV is real and she HATES cars, loves people and other dogs, hates cars. On the other hand she has a single coat of fur and doesn't shed much at all compared to our double fawn coat Pug.

Nope, she's a double coat (ugh!) fawn pug (with black muzzle). OMG, the shedding! Coco doesn't mind the TV (though our Maltese hates to see an animal on TV and barks and spins in circles any time there is one on), but hates to hear a baby cry (even on TV). This does not bode well, considering Han Solo is due in 6 weeks and will likely cry a good bit.

Coco is a very people person kind of dog. I can barely walk for her rubbing against my legs. If I'm sitting, she has to be touching me in some way. She likes to sit on the back of the furniture (like a cat) and will put a paw on my shoulder. If I get up, she does too and follows wherever I go. She's more into me than Indy or James Bond, but loves them too. Sometimes James Bond and I joke that she'd get in our skin if she could. Heaven forbid I go to the bathroom or take a shower without her. She sits at the door and cries until I come out. If she comes in while I take a shower, she stands at the edge of the tub (on her back legs) and peers into the shower until I get out. Weird little dog. Our half pug used to just jump in the shower with me (literally, every day-I finally had to lock her out of the bathroom because I got tired of bathing her), so I guess I should be happy Coco just wants to watch.

The 2 year old black Pug sleeps a lot, there are days where the rest of the house gets up and she stays in bed. She also eats her kibble one at a time and when she is ready to eat it.

How funny that your Pug gave herself a timeout - LOL!

I know! She's really funny.