Menu

Has anyone given their child a test to find out what their STRENGTHS are?

I already had a good idea of his learning style, but last year I gave ds the CogAT test along with his IOWA Achievement test. It tested for verbal, numeric, and visual spatial strengths, and compared these scores with his actual achievement on the test. Very illuminating.

Would this help identify processing issues with math? I'm really struggling with DD and math, I think it is a processing/memory issue with numbers but I don't know how to specifically identify it and remediate or work around it.

Just be aware that timed tests (such as the Cogat and ITBS, I believe) can lead to inaccurate results for kids who have processing speed issues. In other words, such tests might underestimate their strengths, occasionally quite significantly. Processing speed issues are common amongst kids with LDs.

Also, keep in mind that the Cogat in particular is a screening test rather than an actual IQ test. Maybe that's fine if you're just trying to get a rough idea, but I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in precise percentiles. I know of at least one kiddo who was denied entry to a gifted program based on his in-school Cogat score, when subsequent private testing showed otherwise, due to processing speed and working memory issues (he's 2E).

Another possible route, unfortunately much more expensive, is private IQ and achievement testing. I tend to find the results of the WISC and WIAT most illuminating.