Menu

Memorization Cards

Country Girl

I know I can do this myself.... problem is it doesn't get done. So, does anyone sell ready made cards with WTM style memorization facts on them?

Things like important math facts/concepts, grammar terms, history dates, etc. arranged by the age/stage they are appropriate for. This year I tried to implement more memory work into our day, and I started out well. But I didn't keep up with making new note cards as we covered new material, so memorization time got dropped from our day. It seems like such a simple, yet important thing. However, for some reason I can't get it done on my own.

Thanks!

In theory, I agree that having the kids make the cards would be better. In practice, it is even worse than if I try to do it. When they need to do them, I have to facilitate which things need to go on the card and so it is just easier if I do it myself.... however, that doesn't get done either.:glare:

After reading "The Core" and becoming more inspired to ramp up memory work I'm trying to come up with a good system as well. I do well with the initial organization of memory work...it's the adding new things as we go along where I get overwhelmed.

Looks like there could be a market for this..... anyone want to volunteer?:D I'd be your first customer!

I create memory cards in my word processing program. I simply change the page size to match the card I'm using, type up the information and print.

I also have my children make their own memory cards for some things. For example, this year they illustrate our vocabulary cards. Next year, I will have them actually write the words and definitions on the cards.

I also ordered some history cards from Veritas Press for next year.

We use the memory box system described on the Simply Charlotte Mason website, and it works well for us!

I've had trouble keeping up with memory work, also. We do great with Latin because we use Song School Latin and I use the coloring pages provided and print them 6 to a page to cut out as flashcards. We also do great with All About Spelling, because the cards are provided. I've made a few other cards using this flashcard maker, but I seem to have trouble deciding what is important enough to add to our memory work box.

I bought Living Memory by Andrew Campbell and am going to make cards using it. I'm planning on trying the Simply Charlotte Mason system.

SWB has history flashcards at the back of each volume of The Story of the World Activity Books.

She also recommends using the lists at the back of the Kingfisher Encyclopedia of World History (we are using the Major Wars and US Presidents lists--I didn't make cards for them, just work from the lists).

Staples sells cards with math and geography facts.

There is a nice deck of constellation cards for astronomy: Constellations Knowledge Cards on Amazon.

Spell to Write and Read sells phonogram cards and spelling rules cards separately from the curriculum.

Poetry memorization also counts as memory work and you don't need to make any cards for it.

Thanks for the ideas. I don't know why I didn't think of looking for flash cards for individual subjects.... duh!:blushing:

I could see where the Living Memory book could be helpful. I may think about buying it so I at least have most of the info I need in one convenient collection.

JudoMom~What sorts of topics and information are covered in the CC cards? Those may be the closest thing to have someone else do it for me!