Menu

Need help for struggling 10th grader MATH

Currently she is in 10th grade and using Saxon .5 It is taking us 2 hours every day and she is missing almost 50% each day, even after going thru them step by step each and every day. She was in public school till 8th grade, and I feel never built a foundation for math.

I am considering CLE, ACE or Math U See. She took the placement test for ACE and placed in 7th grade. MUS she passed the tests for Epsilon and Zeta, but could not do one problem on the Pre-Alg. placement test. Not sure what that means, i'll have to call them tomorrow. I was also thinking of CLE math and will have her take the placement test tomorrow.

Thoughts? Suggestions??

Have you considered teaching textbooks? It does a great job of explaining concepts. Just a thought. You could take the placement test and know exactly where to place her. Of all the ones you mentioned, I'd go with Math-u-see. But personally, I'd choose the teaching textbooks.

Blessings

Sandra

Have you considered teaching textbooks? It does a great job of explaining concepts. Just a thought. You could take the placement test and know exactly where to place her. Of all the ones you mentioned, I'd go with Math-u-see. But personally, I'd choose the teaching textbooks.

Blessings

Sandra

She actually did TT pre-algebra, but there was not enough review. She got thru it, but I felt it was all fluff and no real learning. She attempted TT Alg. 1 and we both could not get past lesson 20. I don't like the was TT "teaches". It is in such a round about way it makes my head spin. I LOVE Saxon, however, but it's just too much for her. I think she needs a mastery approach, so i'll most likely have her go thru ACE paces but I will check out Lials!

She actually did TT pre-algebra, but there was not enough review. She got thru it, but I felt it was all fluff and no real learning. She attempted TT Alg. 1 and we both could not get past lesson 20. I don't like the was TT "teaches". It is in such a round about way it makes my head spin. I LOVE Saxon, however, but it's just too much for her. I think she needs a mastery approach, so i'll most likely have her go thru ACE paces but I will check out Lials!

I assume .5 is Algebra 1/2? If so, and she likes it but just isn't doing well, you could try Art Reed's DVDs-they have been a blessing for us-and prior to these, I had stayed far away from Saxon.

For Lial's, you want the 7th edition-that is what Jann in TX recommends. Amazon has the cheapest when I was looking.

Personally, I wouldn't go with CLE at this point. It is advanced and really doesn't have much for explanation. In addition, the Algebra isn't out of the Pilot stage yet. ACE is behind in s&s-not what you want since your dd is in 10th.

I assume .5 is Algebra 1/2? If so, and she likes it but just isn't doing well, you could try Art Reed's DVDs-they have been a blessing for us-and prior to these, I had stayed far away from Saxon.

For Lial's, you want the 7th edition-that is what Jann in TX recommends. Amazon has the cheapest when I was looking.

Personally, I wouldn't go with CLE at this point. It is advanced and really doesn't have much for explanation. In addition, the Algebra isn't out of the Pilot stage yet. ACE is behind in s&s-not what you want since your dd is in 10th.

Well maybe i'll just keep her doing Saxon Alg. 1/2 and maybe slow her down to half a lesson per day. We have the Teacher DVD's also.

If I went with ACE, i'd have her go thru them faster. She is NOT 4 year college bound and i'd be happy if she made it past pre-algebra. She takes one class at CC and is doing very well. It's a history course and has an A so far. I am focusing on math at home and that class alone for her. She does some biology and vocab, but that's it. I am not a WTM'er LOL

I just her to learn the basics and head to Jr. College. So that is why I am focusing on math and writing. She is doing a full 12 page research paper with the CC class and that is her writing "class". Anyway...just trying to figure things out. Just want her to have a firm foundation so when she takes the cc placement test for math, she'll have some idea what to do