Menu

The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide? Trail Guide to World Geography?

pgr

I've searched the forum many times and many ways, and I'm still pretty much coming up empty-handed.... :(

I feel geography is an all too often neglected subject, and I think it's important enough to get its own place in the schedule, so.... I'm looking for a good curriculum/guide for the grammar years :).

These are two that seem good, but, as usual, it's hard to gauge just from the sample pages.

The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide

Trail Guide to World Geography

Has anyone had any experience with either of these? Please share!!!

:)

ETA: If there's some other terrific resource you've used - please post! I've looked at Evan Moore and Teacher Created workbooks, but I'm hesitant (not a big fan of workbooks, but we do use them if they're really good resources). I'm looking for physical and cultural geography mostly.

Thank you!

Edited by pgr
added a thought...

We are using Expedition Earth from Erica (Confessions of a Homeschooler) as our "spine" and are traveling the world that way. I actually created a wiki (in my sig) to keep up with all the resources and everything I have found (and that we are doing). We've visited the Poles, China, & are currently visiting Australia :D

Read the FAQs on the geomatters website and that should give you more info. We haven't used these, but will be using them next year. The Trail Guide is a full geography curriculum, set up by Day 1, Day 2, etc. You can use it with a fairly wide age range, and it gives assignments each day for elementary, middle, and high school ages. The Ultimate Guide is intended to be used with it and is more of a "how to" for the parents. Next year we are using both, along with Galloping the Globe for my DD, who is a little younger.

Hi,

I have The ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide that I use along with Galloping the Globe. I purchased the Ultimate Guide because I wanted to make my own geography unit studies. It has a wealth of info and maps. If you want to carve your own path in geography for k-12 then this is the book for you. I was a bit overwhelmed at the time so I decided to buy Galloping the Globe for more help with primary grades. We are really enjoying it so far and I have no regrets. I like the unit study method and find that geography does not have to be taught as a separate subject. Much easier in my opinion and less time consuming.

For those who asked for info about Galloping the Globe....I have heard others say that it is like a big booklist and I feel that it is much more. The printables are pages that my daughter loves. She asks to do the word searches, dot to dots, and maps and so on. I make my own schedule which suits me perfectly. I choose the age appropriate books and pages to complete and don't feel like a failure if something gets pushed off until tomorrow.:) My dd is 8 and the material is right on. I do add my own Language Arts and Math. It is an affordable option for someone who likes to have Science, Bible, History, Geography, and Art blended together instead of all over the place. If you don't want to create your own unit study but want to control and plan...then Galloping the Globe is a great choice.

I have never purchased any Trail Guides but I did look at it at our local homeschool store. To me... it appeared to be sheets with questions to answer about the area being studied. Please....understand that I like unit studies so my opinion is not everybody elses. I also only kept my attention on the material section for young children. Someone else may be able to provide more detail on this series.

HTH,

Penny

I have both the Ultimate Guide and Trail Guide to the US on my shelf, so is there anything specific I can answer for you?

Basically, the Trail Guide is more structured. It tells you what to do each day, giving you 3 levels to choose from so you can work at the appropriate level for your child.

The Ultimate Guide is huge and awesome. HOWEVER, if you need structure, this will not give it. There are no schedules. There are a lot of IDEAS. If you are comfortable making your own schedule, this is a good book.

I started this post as a "multi quote", but I realized I want to say essentially the same thing to all of you who replied -

in reading each post carefully (and the FAQ page at Geomatters), I now feel I have a much, much better understanding of the two programs and how they can, it seems, compliment each other in different ways. Thank you so much!

I have a feeling Galloping the Globe is going to be a little broad (i.e. I have a history, science, etc curriculum set up), but I'm looking at that as something to maybe start with.

My only remaining questions would be, should I find that we can swing both the Trail Guides and the Ultimate Geography:

- do I need Uncle Josh's map outline CD as well? I thought I read somewhere that it's somehow incorporated into the Ultimate Geo, but then I was unable to find that sentence later... :tongue_smilie:

- do I need something extra like Maps Charts Graphs to teach basics of mapping, or is this somehow covered?

- do you have any recommendations for a good atlas? I really liked the National Geographic World Atlas for Young Explorers, but I don't know if it would work here.

Thank you so much for the information!

- do I need Uncle Josh's map outline CD as well? I thought I read somewhere that it's somehow incorporated into the Ultimate Geo, but then I was unable to find that sentence later... :tongue_smilie:

- do I need something extra like Maps Charts Graphs to teach basics of mapping, or is this somehow covered?

- do you have any recommendations for a good atlas? I really liked the National Geographic World Atlas for Young Explorers, but I don't know if it would work here.

Thank you so much for the information!

I find the Ultimate Guide to have more than enough maps for our needs. I also use the National Geographic Atlas for Young Explorers and love it.

HTH,

Penny