Menu

Swollen tonsil remedy???

DD and I both had strep about a month ago. We took the antibiotics, and although we're both MUCH better our swollen tonsils have not gone away. I went back to the Dr, and they said it would clear up...eventually (I had a negative strep test this time). The problem is, we are doing the sleep apnea thing at night, choking on our tonsils. I have no pain, but I constantly feel this fullness...and I wake up in a panic several times every night. DH says I am choking or snoring on my tonsils. DD is doing the same thing.

I have been eating yogurt to get the good bacteria back, and yesterday I started a salt water gargle. I have been trying to drink plenty of water. Has anyone got any other ideas to "deflate" swollen tonsils? I read something about a fresh lime squeezed into warm water I might try.

TIA!

Not sure specifically...and I don't want to discourage you from trying to work on the tonsils directly- but swollen tonsils are a symptom of an immune system working hard on something- so it may be necessary to help your immune system out a bit as well so it can knock whatever it is fighting on the head. The tonsils may not respond until the threat is gone.

I've been gargling with everything....first I tried diluted apple cider vinegar, then Listerine (which just dried it out and made me cough!) and I tried hydrogen peroxide and salt water. Nothing is working. It isn't sore, my tonsils are just is big and in the way and covered with icky white spots. Before I took the antibiotic it was killing me.

I'm just wondering if the strep wasn't quite kicked, even though they got a negative strep test the next time I went in....

Maybe being patient is the only thing I can do, :lol:???