Menu

Cool looking evolution resources

ChandlerMom

I like the Galapagos Toob. :)

Here's my home library for the first 13bil years:

Kingfisher's Book of Evolution ~ like it except for the last 2 "what if" sections on human extinction and future humans -- rather it kept on what happened.

Our Family Tree, mentioned above ~ great picture story book

Jennifer Morgan's 3 volumes are poetic but go into amazing detail, so they can be enjoyed at many levels (got all 3 used for $10 from Betterworldbooks):

Born with a Bang

From Lava to Life

Mammals who Morph

And my absolute all-around favorite for explaining what evolution is and is not at an upper elementary level:

Daniel Loxton's "Evolution: how we and all living things came to be"

http://www.amazon.com/Evolution-How-Living-Things-Came/dp/1554534305/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299619939&sr=1-1

Of course, what I liked about Charlie's Playhouse is that it goes beyond books to interactives. :D

Ooh, I just got the Jay Hosler novels for fun reading on my own. The evolution one is new, and I also got the one on genetics.

Here was our resources when we studied evolution two years ago.

http://satorismiles.com/curriculum/prehistory/lesson-2/

Satori,

Thanks! Some really nice links, esp the BBC one. You know, I hadn't thought about teaching about the Galapagos as part of a unit on evolution, but it really makes sense. I'll add it in. :)

Jennifer Morgan's 3 volumes are poetic but go into amazing detail, so they can be enjoyed at many levels (got all 3 used for $10 from Betterworldbooks):

Born with a Bang

From Lava to Life

Mammals who Morph

I got a creepy, new-age vibe from those books. Like she has the universe talking about how she created things, and how "everything has a dream." an odd blend of fact and fiction as it were. But the details about the different stages are interesting and well done. I just felt like throwing it every time the universe waxed poetic about her "creation." :001_huh:

Edited by poetic license
iPad induced spelling error!

I got a creepy, new-age vibe from those books. Like she has the universe talking about how she created things, and how "everything has a dream." an odd blend of fact and fiction as it were. But the details about the different stages are interesting and well done. I just felt like throwing it every time the universe waxed poetic about her "creation." :001_huh:

Ha! I know what you mean! :D Kinda a Joseph Campbell meets Carl Sagan sort of vibe. :lol: My younger ones like it, though, and my 7yo got to learn about "anthropomorphism." :D

@KristenR and Satori (and others with the mat): is it really as durable as they claim? My 2yo has been a terror on board books and the like (that had survived unscathed thru 2+ other kiddos!! :eek:) I don't want to get something he'll destroy or that I can only bring out during his naps. :)

Born with a Bang

From Lava to Life

Mammals who Morph

:iagree: I was so disappointed with these books. They make me gag. Way too new age vibe for me. I have them brand new on my shelf and I haven't decided what to do with them yet. Just not my thing.

Sorry I missed the question about durability.

I would say for the most part yes it is. I have a very "lady like" 4 year old, a Tasmanian devil 2 year old, and a 9 month just starting out crawling around. So the mat definitely gets a broad range of affection from the girls.

I would feel comfortable leaving it out all the time with my 4 year old. I myself walk and jump on it with them (on our carpet and sometimes the tile) and it held up fine.

That being said, my destructive 2 year old has found a way to crease it. I turned my back for a second and she had tried folding it on a part that wasn't pre-folded and was using the weight of her body to press it down. I grabbed her off right away and smoothed it back down and it is still 100% functional but ,aesthetically speaking, there is now an annoying crease where I know there shouldn't be one.

That being said, I am still immensely pleased with my purchase and would really recommend it.