Menu

What to order for AAS? Do I need the CD-Rom?

Nart

I am thinking of buying AAS level 1. I know I have to buy the Student Materials and Teacher Manual (for 29.95). Then you are supposed to buy the Basic Interactive Kit for another 29.95 which includes Letter tiles, Magnets, Phonogram CD-ROM, and Divider Cards. Do I need the CD-ROM and Divider Cards? Could I just buy the Letter tiles ($11.95) and Magnets (5.95) for a total of $17.90. With the 12 dollars I could save I was thinking of putting the money towards buying the Level 1 Cobweb the Cat Reader for 19.95. Any advice would be helpful? Thanks,

Jenn

Hi Jenn,

The Divider Cards are what organizes your spelling review box for you. In the Student Materials Packet, you'll get 4 different types of cards (Sound, Phonogram, Key, and Word cards). These all start out under "future lesson" tabs. As they are introduced in the book, you'll move the cards to the "daily review" tab. Then, when they are mastered, you move them to the "mastered" tab. So, if you don't get the divider cards, you'll want to find some kind of tab dividers locally that you can use.

The CD-ROM helps if you need to hear the sounds yourself to know how to teach them. It's most helpful if you are unsure of some of the sounds, live in an area where some sounds are not pronounced clearly, or if English is a second language for you. Have you seen the online demo? There's a link on this page. That might help you decide.

HTH! Merry :-)

I didn't get the CD-ROM, since I got the letter tiles and magnets long before getting the program itself. I did get the box and the dividers, and love them. My student packet came with dividers, though I know they're phasing that out. Yours may or may not come with them. I know at the time I purchased, there were people who ordered whose packets didn't come with them, and they had ordered before me.

I got the cd as a promo offer way back when I bought AAS1. I used it maybe twice for my first dd. I have let my dd4 play with it just to get used to seeing the phonograms and hear the different sounds. My opinion, definitely not necessary unless you need some special assistance.