Menu

WWE3 writing samples - post here

Capt_Uhura

DS7, WWE3 Week 1 Day 1 narration. At this level for day 1, the teacher writes the narration down for the child.

A coal, a straw and a bean escaped from an old woman. They agreed to set out on an adventure. They came upon a brook and they tried to cross it using the straw as a bridge but the coal burnt the straw and fell into the water. The bean laughed so hard it split in two but a tailor sewed the bean together and that's why beans have a black seam.

DS7, WWE3 Week2 Day 3. At this level, Day 3, DC gives his narration and then the teacher repeats the first one or two sentences back to to the child for him to write down.

Her coat was long and matted and she had sores. She was forced to pull a glue cart.

DS7, WWE3, Week 3 Day 3.

British ships, carrying tea, were at the Boston harbor. The Sons of Liberty dressed as Indins threw all of the tea into the harbor.

It's really hard to type their misspellings. :D

My son is just beginning WWE3; I believe we're in Week 5? (we're using the text, not the workbook). He wrote this narration after reading the first section of Ch. 10 in SOTW3. My son wrote these himself.

(Capt_Uhuru, I will comment on your child's narration in the post after this, after I grab a bit of dinner :))

In the 1600s, Christian missonaries started coming to Japan. Tokugawa Ieyasu made all the Christian missionaries leave Japan. His son, Hiditada, executed all of the Christions in Japan. Then
his
son, Iemetsu, didn't let anyone in or out of the country, and Buddhism flurished.

This is a narration the following day based on a science reading about bones.

Bones can do many things in our bodies. Bones contain white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets. They also protect organs and provide structure for our bodies. Without bones, our bodies would fall down like a blanket!!

Transitions, transitions!! LOL I am wondering if I am doing DS a disservice by having him write out his narrations. Do you think I should be writing them for him? He doesn't complain, but I am wondering if the narrations would be improved if I was the one doing the writing....

Edited by Halcyon

DS7, WWE3 Week 1 Day 1 narration. At this level for day 1, the teacher writes the narration down for the child.

A coal, a straw and a bean escaped from an old woman. They agreed to set out on an adventure. They came upon a brook and they tried to cross it using the straw as a bridge but the coal burnt the straw and fell into the water. The bean laughed so hard it split in two but a tailor sewed the bean together and that's why beans have a black seam.

DS7, WWE3 Week2 Day 3. At this level, Day 3, DC gives his narration and then the teacher repeats the first one or two sentences back to to the child for him to write down.

Her coat was long and matted and she had sores. She was forced to pull a glue cart.

DS7, WWE3, Week 3 Day 3.

British ships, carrying tea, were at the Boston harbor. The Sons of Liberty dressed as Indins threw all of the tea into the harbor.

It's really hard to type their misspellings. :D

I think this is great-is this 3 different kids, or one child's work? Good grammar in the first one. Maybe a bit of a run-on sentence at the end? The third narration (the last one) needs some work--he got the commas right in the first sentence but not the second--something my son would do!! I think the spelling is great.

Ds8, third grade

I think this was around week 21. It was supposed to be a 3 sentence summary narration. At first he had three sentences with no prompting, but he missed the point of the passage (that the boys friends only wanted to visit because of the ice cream). With the 3 prompt questions, he wrote this narration without dictating to me first.

Melvin wanted his friends to like him and not just the ice cream his dad brought home. So one day Melvin asked his dad to give the ice cream to an orphanage. After that not many kids came to Melvin's back yard so he started a workshop for fixing bikes in the unused barn. Sooner or later kids started coming with broken bikes for Melvin to fix but they still didn't seem to take any intrest in Melvin.

I asked him to proofread for punctuation and he put in most of the commas appropriately. I had stopped having ds dictate to me first, because he didn't like to, and at first it seemed he was doing a pretty good job. But, I see the value now in WWE as written, and I think we'll go back to doing that a while longer.

I am wondering if I am doing DS a disservice by having him write out his narrations. Do you think I should be writing them for him? He doesn't complain, but I am wondering if the narrations would be improved if I was the one doing the writing....

I thought the whole point of WWE was to separate the act of writing from coming up with what to say. I would be writing them out for him until you get to the point in WWE4 where they are supposed to be writing their own narrations.

DD required quite a bit of prompting to figure out what the important points of the story were. I think the comprehension questions in the workbook actually get in the way of her understanding the main points. This is what she came up with after we spent 5 or 10 minutes talking over what kind of things she should include in her narration.

The room had a lot of old-fashioned things in it. There was a big bathtub, mason jars, and a bike with a front wheel bigger than Oliver. Oliver spent the whole afternoon looking at a magazine that he found in the room.

Okay, I followed my own (and other's) advice and decided to write out my son's narration for him this morning. Here's what he came up with, after reading a passage from Bridge to Terabithia.

"Jessie got up one morning and was feeling unusually tired. He went outside to the cow field and started running. Then he heard someone ask him a question, and he stopped and turned. Jessie didn't know if it was a girl or a boy, but found out it was a girl. He didn't want to play with her, and went back to work."

At what age are kids beginning to focus on paragraph writing as opposed to sentence writing?

I think the comprehension questions in the workbook actually get in the way of her understanding the main points. .

The comprehension questions get dropped in the wb some time before halfway through.

So if your dd does better without them, maybe you could drop them?

When the tailor went up the mountain, he found a giant, who thought the tailor had killed seven men. The giant asked the tailor to squeeze water out of a stone, so the tailor got some cheese and squeezed the liquid out of it. Then the giant asked the tailor to throw a rock very high, so the tailor threw up a bird (:lol: I looove the visual this creates!)and it flew away. Finally, the giant asked him to carry a tree, but the tailor just sat on a branch while the giant carried the tree.

A note: The lesson is actually entitled "original sentence exercise," but we modify a bit. She tells me her narration and then I dictate it back, in parts if it is long.

This is our first year homeschooling and I am at a total loss evaluating writing. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Here is ds's (8 - 3rd grade) from today. We got a late start on WWE 3 this year so we're only on Week 10.

I have him read the passage aloud and then give me his narration after which I have him write out his entire narration on his own. We're working on getting the narrations down from 4 to 3 sentences...hopefully soon, lol. Spelling, grammar and punctuation are left as he wrote them.

When Almanzo came in through the Horse-Barn's little door the young colts nuzzled him. He was not allowed to touch the colts because his father said that he would spoil them. In the barns, Almanzo and Royal took out all of the soiled hay and replaced it with fresh hay. Almanzo had his own calves and their names were Star and Bright.

DS7, WWE3 week 7 Day 3.

The Mongols lived in tents made out of felt, and they wore animal hides to keep warm. They were nomads so they never grew crops, but they ate rabbits and other small animals.

That was DS's narration/dictation. His narration had an additional sentence (Ghengis Khan wanted all the classes of Mongols to join together and attack Beijing.) but I only had him write his first two sentences. He had spelled "felt" "flet." I helped w/ spelling "animals." All other spelling and punctuations are his.

• 1 month later...

DS7, WWE3 w13d3 narration

The children went to play in the snow with sleds and two large dishpans. After that, they made ice cream with snow, milk, and sugar. Then they all went inside but Rush and Isaac went for a walk. Rush and Isaac soon longed for warmth, light and noise so they went back home.

I liked his use of time sequence words.