Menu

Why do I keep second guessing my curriculum choices?

kristinannie

I searched high and low for the "perfect" math curriculum for my kindergartener. I finally decided on McRuffy Color Math supplemented with Miquon. Then today I saw Right Start Math for the first time. WOW! Now I want to switch. :tongue_smilie: I already purchased the McRuffy and am going to use it. Why do I do this to myself? There are too many choices out there! Thank God I am HSing now while there are so many choices and not 20 years ago!

I've been homeschooling for FIVE years now (hard to believe), and I still do that. This morning, even though we are really enjoying Time Travelers (Homeschool in the Woods), I started drooling over LBC again. I am getting better with just sticking with my choices!

Its a conspiracy LOL. I keep drooling over RightStart also. I came so close to ordering it a little bit ago but have not yet. I have 5 math programs for my poor K son LOL. We are doing 2 and bits and peices of the other (ummm actually 6 now that we started MEP as well :blush:)

They are out to get us :lol: :001_huh:

We need to start a Curriculum Annonymous group lol. I have been hs'ing for two years now and still do this to myself.

This is one reason curriculum fairs are so nice but make sure you research online the curriculums first then go to fairs that have the pulisher or writer there so you can see the item in person then decide.

Also, think about the cost. I am in love with one math curriculum but it will run me almost $400 to get the complete one so I am slowly letting go of that dream.

I used to do that to. A LOT!

I finally realized that there is no such thing as the perfect curriculum. Do what you've got. Do it consistently to the best of your ability. It truly will be better than flipping around from this to that.

I still struggle with it but instead of drooling over what I don't have I ask myself if there is something really and truly wrong with what I've got. If so then I ask myself if there is a simple, inexpensive solution to that rather than chunking it and buying a whole new program. Perhaps I can implement what I've got in a different way or supplement with a little something. I'm very fortunate to have a homeschool library down the road. So when I get an itch I can check it out and try it for a bit. It is so rare (in that I can't think of one instance) where I actually wanted to use the program long term after trying it. I take that back, I did check out the IEW videos many, many, many times and purchased my own syllabus to go with.

I used to do that to. A LOT!

I finally realized that there is no such thing as the perfect curriculum. Do what you've got. Do it consistently to the best of your ability. It truly will be better than flipping around from this to that.

I still struggle with it but instead of drooling over what I don't have I ask myself if there is something really and truly wrong with what I've got. If so then I ask myself if there is a simple, inexpensive solution to that rather than chunking it and buying a whole new program. Perhaps I can implement what I've got in a different way or supplement with a little something. I'm very fortunate to have a homeschool library down the road. So when I get an itch I can check it out and try it for a bit. It is so rare (in that I can't think of one instance) where I actually wanted to use the program long term after trying it. I take that back, I did check out the IEW videos many, many, many times and purchased my own syllabus to go with.

This is the attitude that I am trying to adopt, but it is so hard! I have avoided buying anything because I wanted to give myself time to change my mind, but I was just SO SURE about math. I had honestly spent 2 months thinking about it and just needed to make a decision! I am happy with McRuffy. There are just so many great programs out there (which really is a blessing). It is so hard to decide, especially when you are a newbie like me!!!

I am really glad to see that I am not the only one with this problem!