Menu

Book Suggestions for me??

I have been reading a lot lately...fiction/novels, mostly. I have read through everything I have or have been given. I noticed that a number of you read a book a week. I am tired of picking books based on their cover or the little blurb about them on the back.

I would love some suggestions of books or authors you have enjoyed reading. I am pretty open to reading anything. I really enjoy books that make me think but sometimes an easy read with a nice plot works just as well.

Thanks!

Some I've really enjoyed:

All the Names by Jose Saramago

C by Tom McCarthy

Packing for Mars by Mary Roach

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

The Blind Contessa's New Machine by Carey Wallace

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

City of Thieves by David Benioff

Waiting for Snow in Havana by Carlos Eire

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers

Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley & Livingstone by Martin Dugard

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Dracula by Bram Stoker

I, Claudius by Robert Graves

The Little Friend by Donna Tartt

Dancer by Colum McCann

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

Deadeye Dick by Kurt Vonnegut

The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester

Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

Passionate Nomad by Jane Fletcher Geniesse

The Brothers K--David James Duncan : epic tale of religion, science, baseball, and the '60s

Ursula, Under--Ingrid Hill : inter-connected short stories following the genealogy of a little girl in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Peace Like a River--Lief Enger : musings about saints, sinners, and cowboy-poets

Coop--Michael Perry : nonfiction about life in a small town in WI

Outliers--Malcolm Gladwell : nonfiction...what does success really mean?

Wild Swans--Jung Chang : the best historical memoir on China available--3 women take China from warlords to cultural revolution

It--Stephen King : King's best...a story within a story about facing fears

Winter's Tale--Mark Helprin : magical realism/fairy tale with New York as the centerpiece

No Country for Old Men--Cormac McCarthy : what is violence and how do people react to it?

Interpreter of Maladies--Jhumpa Lahiri : the best short story collection of the last 20 years. Indian immigrants.

The Diamond Age--Neal Stephenson : fascinating science fiction...if Dickens wrote a futuristic novel with nano technology @ a girl who is raised by a stolen educational primer...this would be it.

A Primate's Memoir--Robert Sapolsky : Africa/primate biology/neuroscience/memoir

The Big Over-Easy--Jasper Fforde : like candy for word lovers...nursery tale mystery

The Book of Lost Things--John Connolly : an original retelling of old fairy tales in a completely compelling format..(a bit dark but nothing I wouldn't let a 13 year old read)

Cloud Atlas--David Mitchell : an history of the world told through interconnecting tales from Victorian-the post apocalpse

Vanity Fair--WM Thackeray : a novel without heroes...Thackeray never takes anyone too seriously

Edited by LostSurprise

Pride & Prejudice - if you want a classic, this is my absolute all-time favorite

The Scarlet Pimpernel - another classic I really like

The Kite Runner

then wait about 6 months (or else it's Afghanistan overkill) before reading his even better book A Thousand Splendid Suns - this one, by far, is amongst one of the best books I have ever read

The Help

The Five People You Meet in Heaven - if you're in the mood for a very, sweet and easy read - as are all of his books - Tuesdays with Morrie - and pretty much any other Mitch Albom book – we even got the DVDs of three of his books and really liked them

The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende and anything else by her, but this is her best. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Allende

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg and most of her books - very sweet and light - and quite funny

Funny in Farsi - if you need a nice laugh

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

The Secret Life of Bees

The Book Thief

A Respectable Trade by Philippa Gregory - my favorite Phillipa Gregory

Harry Potter books

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy .. but the first book is quite boring and confusing in the first 60-70 pages. Hang in there. It does get better! Yes, they are graphic. But I tend to look beyond that and just focus on the story

Sleep Toward Heaven by Amanda Eyre Ward

Room by Emma Donoghue

NON-FICTION

The Geography of Bliss

Outliers … and all Malcolm Gladwell books

Happy Reading! :D

My favorites are neither fiction nor novels, but three I've read in the past year that have really stood out are:

1) Open Lands, Travels Through Russia's Once Forbidden Places by Mark Taplin

Here's Amazon's review:

Mark Taplin went to Russia in 1984, a junior-level diplomat sent deep into Cold War land. He tells of the map he studied, colored green for the few cities where foreigners were allowed, and omnipresent red for "Stay Away." In 1992 Taplin returned. Russia and the U.S. had signed an "Open Lands" agreement allowing free travel, and Taplin wanted to explore the lands that taunted and haunted him from the map eight years before. The result is a book you can't put down, an informed look at a complex country. Russia requires more than a casual eye and pen to sort through the contradictions, and Taplin excels in both.

It's definitely a book to make you think.

2) Across China by Peter Jenkins

Here's Amazon's review:

In chronological sequence Jenkins writes three different types of narrative. The first, set at his Tennessee home, recounts the origins of his China trip. Another follows the 1984 American expedition to Mt. Everest via the unclimbed north slope in Tibet. A third narrative shifts to Jenkins's own travel to the grasslands of Inner Mongolia and the south China coast at Fuzhou. His colorful, casual prose and numerous photographs carry the reader along with him. As a book on China travel this is not unique; Journey into China ( LJ 2/15/83) and James Ballingall's A Taste of China ( LJ 9/15/84) are representative of the genre. Where this excels is in the suspenseful mountaineering sections on Everest. The disconnected arrangement of narratives, however, detracts from the net effect.

The first narrative (him at home) is BORING and almost made me quit reading the book. Once he gets on the plane to China I loved it, so for the last two, I give it a thumbs up.

3) Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide by Peter Allison

Amazon doesn't really do a review, but they give this that seems useful:

In 1994 Peter Allison set off for a year-long stay in Africa. More than a dozen years and hundreds of adventures later, he’s still leading safaris and collecting stories. Allison’s safaris have been *featured in National Geographic, Condé Nast Traveler, and on television programs such as Jack Hanna’s Animal Adventures.

This is an absolutely FUN book and a quick read.

I figured I'd post these in case you wanted a switch from fiction novels. :tongue_smilie: