Menu

How do you pry a dog's mouth open?

My big Mastiff girl got really sick and I have to give her two pills a day. I cannot wrap them in anything because as of right now, she does not want to eat anything.

I googled methods of administering pills, followed the instructions and it took me 2 hours to get 2 pills all the way down, that is without them coming up in a white mash.

I wish dogs had a gap in their teeth like horses where you can shoot stuff through.

More instructions, please?

I just stick my finger in the corner of their mouth and they usually open up or start "chewing" Then, quick as a rabbit toss those babies as far as you can and stroke their throat til they swallow. Sometimes it helps to have 2 people, one being the opener and one being the pill tosser. I helped my neighbor will her Bull Mastiff. Good Luck :D You just gotta get them as far back as you can.

I grasp lower jaw with my stronger right hand, and the upper with my left. I put my thumbs behind the fangs, and my index and middle finger along the gum on the other side, right behind the fangs. Tip head up at 45 degree angle. Butter pill to make tasty and slippery, and have an aid quickly pop it in back and give a shove, then shut jaw (the dog will want to), hold mouth shut and tip the head still up and stroke the throat. Praise.

They are easier than cats.

Something like this would help immensely!

http://www.pawsvitamins.com/Pet-Piller/dp/B0002AL6U6?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

As far as opening the mouth, take her lower jowels - the lips so to speak - near the very back of the mouth, and push it into the mouth between the upper and lower teeth. They don't want to bite their own lip, and will open their mouth. That's when the device above can easily be used to get the pill to the far back of the throat. Then hold her mouth closed, and angle their head upward and massage under the throat until you know she's swallowed.

Or if you want them to open their mouth willingly, offer them a huge bone. :) But it sounds like that wouldn't even be enticing right now. :grouphug:

I grasp lower jaw with my stronger right hand, and the upper with my left. I put my thumbs behind the fangs, and my index and middle finger along the gum on the other side, right behind the fangs. Tip head up at 45 degree angle. Butter pill to make tasty and slippery, and have an aid quickly pop it in back and give a shove, then shut jaw (the dog will want to), hold mouth shut and tip the head still up and stroke the throat. Praise.

This sounds like it could work with her. Buttering the pill a little may really help because these are chalky and the vet said they do not taste good. I am alone in this endeavor so I will have to be quick to reach way back there. Good part is she has a large mouth.

Ain't that the truth! I'd rather pill a dozen dogs than a single cat. My DH can usually get a pill down a cat but he is sometimes bloody afterwards.

Pegasus

Edited to add: HE is the one bloody, not the cat. Didn't want anyone thinking that he hurt the cat!

Ain't that the truth! I'd rather pill a dozen dogs than a single cat. My DH can usually get a pill down a cat but he is sometimes bloody afterwards.

Pegasus

Edited to add: HE is the one bloody, not the cat. Didn't want anyone thinking that he hurt the cat!

My vet passed along a neat trick for medicating cats: powderize a pill, mix it with something sticky (honey, peanut butter, etc.) and spread it on the nose/face or paw. The cat will lick the paste and ingest the med.

Edited by yucabird
dog doesn't eat meat!

If you can't get the mouth open, our vet suggests stuffing the pill into a chunk of banana (or other really tasty treat, once your dog is again tempted by stuff).

She also suggested putting the pill in the 2nd piece of banana, not the first. Offer a piece w/o a pill 1st, then offer the 2nd pill. The dog will be less likely to spit out the pill bit.

For a really stubborn dog, do the 3rd piece :)

Hope she's feeling better soon!