Menu

DH suggested Medieval Field Trip next summer

to experience the sights which most excited the kiddos this year, and see our 2 exchange students ( in Norway and Germany). Where would you choose to see with your DCs?

So far we have: London, Paris, Stuttgart, Munch, Venice, Florence, and Oslo. We're in the brainstorming phase. Will skip Rome, as we were there in December. Any other recommendations?

Since you just did Italy, I'd focus on northern Europe.

Oslo is fantastic for medieval history (I used to live there). Akershus and the Viking ship museum are not to be missed.

I actually think Germany is wonderful for that period... there are so many lovely castles. The older ones tend to be smaller, but you can look around--I can't ever remember the name of my favorite. It even had underground passages carved out of the solid rock it sat on that you toured by flashlight--Awesome! How about a castle cruise on the Rhine? And Heidelburg! Gotta go there!

Paris is always good (and the Louvre!). I've always wanted to see the catacombs there, and I think my dss would be really into that--macabre enough for them!

I'm so envious! Our budget runs more to armchair travel these days.... hmph. Tell us what you decide!

to experience the sights which most excited the kiddos this year, and see our 2 exchange students ( in Norway and Germany). Where would you choose to see with your DCs?

So far we have: London, Paris, Stuttgart, Munch, Venice, Florence, and Oslo. We're in the brainstorming phase. Will skip Rome, as we were there in December. Any other recommendations?

also go see Rothenburg ob der Tauber, a small German town that has preserved that true "medieval" look. It's beautiful! Here's an article from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothenburg_ob_der_Tauber

HTH!

Since you will be right in that general area while in Europe, I would put Brugge, Belgium near the top of my list! Many people neglect Belgium as a tourist destination, but Brugge was my favorite city in Europe (so far). The Medieval past is well preserved and it is absolutely beautiful.

You might also want to check out this list of World Heritage Sites in Europe.

What an exciting trip you have in front of you! what lucky dc!!

I went to Stockholm a few years ago, and it's lovely! There was a really cool preserved Viking ship in a museum. And the Swedes love kids so I think it's a nice place to go as a family.

I also second Bruges. It is beautiful, and very very Medieval.