Menu

Audrey, just wanted to check and see how you're doing today

Any strategies yet for dealing with burn-out? I was just thinking about you this morning!

Wow! Thanks for asking! :001_smile:

I'm having a pretty crummy week. I think my frustration is rubbing off on my son because nothing school-wise has gone well at all this week. I am, however, processing the advice I got (I'm a person who needs to mull things over). There were a lot of good points made. I'm leaning towards a few things:

1) taking the last 2 weeks of March off. Ds will be at a good stopping point then and I will have had some time to think.

2) including ds AND dh in the lesson planning for the next couple of weeks, and then forming a plan between the 3 of us as to how I can hand over the bulk of it to them.

3) notifying my main workplace that I won't be available on Friday afternoons, and ditching one of my volunteer positions. I NEED to have some personal and family time that is not interrupted by work, is not taken over by community obligations, and is not about school. I'm starting to see this is as much about other things as it is about school. Blaming it on school is an easy target, although I know it shouldn't be.

Again, thanks for asking. That meant a lot to me this morning.

I was thinking about you, too. I am glad you have a plan, it sounds good!!

:grouphug:

It is March now!

(Late April and early May is my "month" to fell burnt out, February is fine here, I always add something new in January and my husband usually gets a lot of time off around the holidays.)

This year, I started Latin in January.

I'm having a pretty crummy week. I think my frustration is rubbing off on my son because nothing school-wise has gone well at all this week. I am, however, processing the advice I got (I'm a person who needs to mull things over). There were a lot of good points made. I'm leaning towards a few things:

1) taking the last 2 weeks of March off. Ds will be at a good stopping point then and I will have had some time to think.

2) including ds AND dh in the lesson planning for the next couple of weeks, and then forming a plan between the 3 of us as to how I can hand over the bulk of it to them.

3) notifying my main workplace that I won't be available on Friday afternoons, and ditching one of my volunteer positions. I NEED to have some personal and family time that is not interrupted by work, is not taken over by community obligations, and is not about school. I'm starting to see this is as much about other things as it is about school. Blaming it on school is an easy target, although I know it shouldn't be.

It sounds like you have a great plan ahead of you! I've had to implement letting go of things in my life like your #3, and I can tell you, it will make a WORLD of difference! You'll be amazed at how much of a burden you were carrying once you have let those things go. It's sad that it takes so many moms such a long time to realize this for themselves. Kudos to you for taking the first step toward better mental health! :grouphug:

Good ideas:) Having a little less outside obligations makes a big difference.

good luck,

lisa

I'm glad to hear you've got a plan--I hope it works.

I want you to know, too, that it means so much to me to know that EVEN YOU have these days. I think of you as a superhero who's above burnout. :001_smile:

I'm definitely no superhero. I'm not going to let this get me to a burn out, though.

Hi Audrey,

Checking in this morning and glad to hear you have a good plan. I agree with you that blaming it on school is often the easy target rather than cutting other stuff. Keep us posted!