Menu

Amazon Book Reviews- Pet Peeve

I am so annoyed. I have been looking up various college texts for a class I am considering taking. I have only noticed this trend with textbook reviews, but it seems people don't realize that the "book review" is not a feedback section for who the book was purchased from!!!! I am trying to find out what people think of the texts, but all I am finding is "Disappointed with how long it too to arrive." "Expected better condition." Ugh. Maybe I am being judgemental, but it makes me cringe that college students are doing this.

That one annoys me. The people who don't understand how Amazon *works*.

But I also hate it when teachers clearly assign their students to write reviews and post them on Amazon. So suddenly there are 15 reviews of the same middle-grade historical fiction that all say either, "My teacher made us read this and it was okay," or "This was the worst, most boringest book ever. My techer made us read it and I would never make anyone read it." Neither of which is remotely helpful to me.

That one annoys me. The people who don't understand how Amazon *works*.

But I also hate it when teachers clearly assign their students to write reviews and post them on Amazon. So suddenly there are 15 reviews of the same middle-grade historical fiction that all say either, "My teacher made us read this and it was okay," or "This was the worst, most boringest book ever. My techer made us read it and I would never make anyone read it." Neither of which is remotely helpful to me.

:iagree: I hate having to wade through all of that to find helpful info. It is also a pain when the book is on a controversal matter and the people argue about the matter instead of rating the book.

This is a problem all over Amazon. Whenever I see it, I vote that it was "unhelpful" because eventually the unhelpful reviews get hidden if they get enough negative votes. But that still doesn't solve your original problem. :(

This is good to know. Thanks!

This is a problem all over Amazon. Whenever I see it, I vote that it was "unhelpful" because eventually the unhelpful reviews get hidden if they get enough negative votes. But that still doesn't solve your original problem. :(

:iagree:

It is also a pain when the book is on a controversal matter and the people argue about the matter instead of rating the book.

:iagree:Sometimes the reviewers will even admit that they haven't read the book. I can understand someone saying that they couldn't get past the first chapter or they skimmed the book. But why would someone review a book he/she has not bothered to even pick up? :glare: