Menu

I thought they provided students w/ laptops. I thought they provided internet service. I *thought* I remembered that you had *some* choice of curriculum--for ex, I was surprised to see Singapore math was one of the choices.

Maybe I was dreaming the last part?

Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong website?

Maybe you're thinking of your state's virtual school. In my state you have to be a ps student to be eligible. And you have to have teacher oversight and stick to their deadlines.

I'm not so good with other people's deadlines...

Maybe you're thinking of your state's virtual school. In my state you have to be a ps student to be eligible. And you have to have teacher oversight and stick to their deadlines.

I'm not so good with other people's deadlines...

No, I'm looking at the VA. It's not something we've been interested in before, but $ is SO tight right now, I thought I'd at least give it another look.

But you know, I was thinking of using my old Wheelock w/ ds next year to save $--not skipping languages altogether, lol. Although k12 offers Spanish (which I'm also planning to do next year), I don't see it as an option for TX ps'ers. :glare:

The computers provided depend on the VA. Here in Ohio, I don't think laptops are an option until high school. We got desktop computers. In Ohio, the VA does reimburse for internet service up to a certain dollar amount. I believe it was just enough to cover basic dial-up service.

There were no curriculum choices though other than which language etc. Otherwise, you just got what K12 offers.

The computers provided depend on the VA. Here in Ohio, I don't think laptops are an option until high school. We got desktop computers. In Ohio, the VA does reimburse for internet service up to a certain dollar amount. I believe it was just enough to cover basic dial-up service.

There were no curriculum choices though other than which language etc. Otherwise, you just got what K12 offers.

I'm not seeing a language choice at all for TX.

I'm guessing the computer/internet thing has been discontinued--the site specifically says you have to provide those yourself.

*shrug* It's not a big deal; I just don't like places to change stuff & make me wonder if I'm losing my mind. :lol:

If it's not through the state, K12 doesn't provide laptops. I'm not sure where you're seeing Singapore math. We're independent users and there is no math choice. For 1st & 2nd grade they use Sadlier-Oxford. I'm not sure if that's what they use for higher grades.

FWIW, we've been very, very happy with K12. It takes all the planning out of my hands and the kids have learned a lot.

Your Title says : K12....but what you are really asking about is your state/local virtual school.

K12 is flat out, a CURRICULUM....no different than Abeka, Saxon, WWE, FLL, Teaching Textbooks, etc etc etc etc.

Well, one difference: Many state virtual schools have chosen to use K12 as their curriculum of choice for their virtual public schools.

K12 does not provide you any of those things, ie computer, internet, etc, anymore than Saxon is going to provide you a calculator, or WWE is going to provide you a pencil.

Now, your state virtual school may. But every single state is different in what they offer and the options they provide. Best to clarify your topic by asking about your specific state, or use the state virtual school website and contact information to get more info.