Menu

How do you get the most out of your museum visits?

We're getting ready for a trip to the east coast, where we'll visit art, science, and history museums. We'll probably also visit some gardens and historically significant homes.

What do you do before, during, or after that enriches the experience?

We're going to a few museums which we've already visited in past years, so it won't be as overwhelming to take it all in.

Tips?

Several of the museums we've visited recently have teacher's guides on their websites that I look over and/or print out before we go. That way I can be sure to highlight any topics or exhibits that correspond to our lessons. Sometimes you have to hunt for them, but I usually find them under the field trip tab.

Spend a few bucks for the headphones if they have them (the Met Museum of Art in NYC does.) You learn so much more. Some museums have scavenger hunts for kids; those are fun, too. Contact the visitor's service beforehand and see what's available. :)

Check out the museums' websites. Look at what they have under education. Look for teachers' resources. Also, look at the guided tours offered. Most museums offer several free tours a day.

Decide what you want to see---it is much more meaningful to delve in depth into a few things than to try to see everything there is.

After you decide what you want to see, spend some time reading about those topics or pieces. Use a history, art, science, ect encyclopedia or the internet to research. You will be amazed at how excited kids are about looking at stuff when they know what the heck they are looking at.

Talk, talk, talk while looking at the museum. Discuss what you've learned in your research and compare it with the actual item on hand. Is it what was expected? How does it differ? How is it the same? Size? Colors?

Giftshops! I love them. My kids love them. They are full of great stuff. Too much good stuff! :001_smile: But they have postcards. I let the kids pick out a postcard or two of somelthing they saw and enjoyed. On the back of the postcard goes a little report of the pic on the front. Voila ! A little memento and proof of learning all in one. We have a postcard album that the kids keep their postcards in. We also have punched holes in them and used a binder clip to make a little journal.

Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes!

I let the kids pick out a postcard or two of somelthing they saw and enjoyed. On the back of the postcard goes a little report of the pic on the front. Voila ! A little memento and proof of learning all in one. We have a postcard album that the kids keep their postcards in. We also have punched holes in them and used a binder clip to make a little journal.

Great idea! We'll be doing this. :001_smile:

We're getting ready for a trip to the east coast, where we'll visit art, science, and history museums. We'll probably also visit some gardens and historically significant homes.

What do you do before, during, or after that enriches the experience?

We're going to a few museums which we've already visited in past years, so it won't be as overwhelming to take it all in.

Tips?

Definitely visit websites to see what fits with your studies right now or what really interests your children (and you). Mine have enjoyed seeing things IRL that we've just read about or seen in books. You might have them cruise around on the sites too -- some places have good kid-links.

Your dc are old enough to have some good stamina, but if you plan on just two per day with a break between, you'll all probably have more energy and enjoy it more than if you try to "pack it all in."

I've also pulled back on my enthusiasm for some of the pre-packaged stuff the museums provide when it's just too simplistic for dc or not what they want to see.

Have fun!