Menu

Dr. Denmark Said It

I've been reading through some of the book, Dr. Denmark Said It. It's very interesting. I don't have babies, so those parts don't apply to me anymore, but I've enjoyed reading the sections on "Mother's Presence" and "Nutrition and Health Habits".

She was America's longest practicing pediatrician and is one of the oldest know living people.

Somethings I found interesting in the health section is to only eat 3 meals a day without snacks, even nutricious ones. She also says that fruit is not necessary for nutrition, your money is better spent on vegetables. She says she has eaten an egg every day for 100 years. She's also an advocate for eating lean red meat and lentils as well as beans for other protein.

Her meal plan is:

Breakfast (a protein and whole grain)

Lunch (a protein, whole grain or starch such as potato, vegetable, especially leafy green)

Supper (a protein, starch or whole grain, vegetable)

Other advice was to drink only water and limit dairy products to a minimum (occasional cheese on casserole, ice cream at a party, or milk in a white sauce, but never drink it).

I thought it was very interesting and wanted to share.

)

Other advice was to drink only water and limit dairy products to a minimum (occasional cheese on casserole, ice cream at a party, or milk in a white sauce, but never drink it).

This is what we do. We cut out sodas and fruit juices and no more dairy drinking. I wonder if she is including coffee and tea in the 'water' category? I couldn't do without my coffee! :)

My stepmother gave me this book when my oldest was born (Dr. Denmark used to be her kids' pediatrician). I know you said the baby parts don't apply to you, but they're pretty horrifying. She says to put your newborn down in his crib at 10 the day you bring him home from the hospital, and don't go back in until 6 no matter how much he cries, and put him on a 4 hour feeding schedule immediately. And she recommends introducing solids at 3 months, and then weaning babies at 7 months and going straight to water at that point.

I just went to get the book and flip through it:

A newborn generally sleeps twenty hours out of twenty-four. He may spend up to four hours crying every day.

Can you imagine thinking it's normal for your newborn to be crying anytime she's awake? Because you think you shouldn't feed her when she's hungry?

Edited by kokotg

This is what we do. We cut out sodas and fruit juices and no more dairy drinking. I wonder if she is including coffee and tea in the 'water' category? I couldn't do without my coffee! :)

I actually was wondering that myself, but the book is addressing children, so I'm sure she wouldn't advocate those for that age. My great-grandmother lived to be almost 98. She drank coffee every day of her life. She did have osteoperosis and became wheel-chair bound, but I believe from reading this book it's from a lack of vitamin D. She was a seamstress for most of her later adult life, so I'm sure she was inside a lot. My great-grandmother also had a keen mind her entire life. My husband's grandfather is alive at 97. He drinks coffee and Dr. Pepper almost everyday.

The more I read about nutrition, the more I believe good nutrition for one is not good for another.

My belief is that keeping insulin levels within a healthy range (thus blood sugars and certain hormones within a healthy range) is extremely important. Cynthia Kenyon has interesting research about this and how it affects longevity.

I know that my MIL's blood sugar will go above 200 if she eats even one tiny potato. Presently, we have her following Dr. Bernstein's advice to eat 30 grams of only certain carbs per day, and it seems to be helping. Some people can tolerate certain foods, while others can't.

My stepmother gave me this book when my oldest was born (Dr. Denmark used to be her kids' pediatrician). I know you said the baby parts don't apply to you, but they're pretty horrifying. She says to put your newborn down in his crib at 10 the day you bring him home from the hospital, and don't go back in until 6 no matter how much he cries, and put him on a 4 hour feeding schedule immediately. And she recommends introducing solids at 3 months, and then weaning babies at 7 months and going straight to water at that point.

I just went to get the book and flip through it:

Can you imagine thinking it's normal for your newborn to be crying anytime she's awake? Because you think you shouldn't feed her when she's hungry?

I did not read through those sections since I don't have an infant. I'll never agree with everything a person says because I don't believe anyone knows it all, but due to the fact that she herself has lived so long and remained healthy, she must know something about nutrition.

I just looked through some of the infant material. Did you read the section about positioning? I thought it was very interesting. Perhaps babies are waking up often during the night because we've been convinced they are supposed to sleep on their backs.

The more I read about nutrition, the more I believe good nutrition for one is not good for another.

My belief is that keeping insulin levels within a healthy range (thus blood sugars and certain hormones within a healthy range) is extremely important. Cynthia Kenyon has interesting research about this and how it affects longevity.

I know that my MIL's blood sugar will go above 200 if she eats even one tiny potato. Presently, we have her following Dr. Bernstein's advice to eat 30 grams of only certain carbs per day, and it seems to be helping. Some people can tolerate certain foods, while others can't.

Concerning the 3 meals, she said that meals should be spaced 5.5 hours apart, allowing time for the stomach to empty. She said that snacking causes that to never happen and the stomach will be releasing sugar most of the time.

I also remember reading an interview with another lady over 100, and she said she had not eaten between meals for over 60 years. I guess it would give your digestive organs more rest.

Concerning the 3 meals, she said that meals should be spaced 5.5 hours apart, allowing time for the stomach to empty. She said that snacking causes that to never happen and the stomach will be releasing sugar most of the time.

I also remember reading an interview with another lady over 100, and she said she had not eaten between meals for over 60 years. I guess it would give your digestive organs more rest.

That is interesting! So many of the diets now recommend many small meals to keep the body fueled. Makes me wonder if it is just sustaining a 'sugar rush'. I'm only eating 2x a day and no snacking and it has worked wonders for me. I think there really is something to this.

That's not true. If a person snacked only on fat, they will not release sugar.

Also, my MIL's blood sugar levels depend on what she ate and how much. For some people, eating too much food -- even something like just a head of lettuce -- can cause a huge increase in blood sugar. This is what Bernstein calls The Chinese Restaurant Effect which happens when the small intestine expands with too much food at once. Bernstein suggests testing often so that a patient has a good idea how certain foods affect their blood sugar. It's all very individual, and a good doctor will realize that.

Genetic predispostion and, possibly even more important, expression of genes plays a role, too. Some people like the Crazy Uncle Festers of this world who overeat all the wrong foods, drink excessively, and smoke may have the longevity gene or be doing something that prevents death genes from turning on. Others who follow a similar lifestyle could find themselves in the grave much sooner. Nutrition isn't one size fits all, but there are probably certain overall recommendations that help most.

Edited by MBM

That is interesting! So many of the diets now recommend many small meals to keep the body fueled. Makes me wonder if it is just sustaining a 'sugar rush'. I'm only eating 2x a day and no snacking and it has worked wonders for me. I think there really is something to this.

If interested, you could buy a blood glucose monitor and test yourself. They're pretty cheap, often free with a rebate, and you can get them at most pharmacies. I'm not diabetic or prediabetic, but I use CVS's TrueResult to see how food affects my blood sugar and to be sure it's not creeping up. The testing strips are expensive, though.

That's not true. If a person snacked only on fat, they will not release sugar.

Also, my MIL's blood sugar levels depend on what she ate at lunch. It all boils down to what she ate and how much. For some people, eating too much food -- even something like just a head of lettuce -- can cause a huge increase in blood sugar. This is what Bernstein calls The Chinese Restaurant Effect which happens when the small intestine expands with too much food at once. Bernstein suggests testing often so that a patient has a good idea how certain foods affect their blood sugar. It's all very individual, and a good doctor will realize that.

Genetic predispostion and, possibly even more important, expression of genes plays a role, too. Some people like the Crazy Uncle Festers of this world who overeat all the wrong foods, drink excessively, and smoke may have the longevity gene or be doing something that prevents death genes from turning on. Others who follow a similar lifestyle could find themselves in the grave much sooner. Nutrition isn't one size fits all, but there are probably certain overall recommendations that help most.

It sounds like your mil is already diabetic, right? That might make her body react differently than a normal healthy person. In the book she is addressing healthy nutrition for children, not adults. She is probably addressing the fact that so many children in this country are fed all day long on sugar and carbohydrates. I don't know many children who only eat fat.

I do believe every persons situation is unique, I just thought it was an interesting concept and since I had read it from more than one of the people living such long lives, there might be some health benefits to it. I don't think it would dangerous for a normal healthy person to try.

I direct an enrichment co-op for homeschoolers. We begin at 10:00 and finish at 1:00. We have a food class where the kids have snack at 11:00, which is including healthy foods. We are having a problem with the 4 year olds being hungry before 11 and hungry an hour after they have eaten at 11. I'm wondering if these kids are used to snacking all morning or something. To me a child shouldn't eat and be hungry an hour later. That doesn't seem normal. Of course, I know if one mentions it, others will chime in even if they are not.

If interested, you could buy a blood glucose monitor and test yourself. They're pretty cheap, often free with a rebate, and you can get them at most pharmacies. I'm not diabetic or prediabetic, but I use CVS's TrueResult to see how food affects my blood sugar and to be sure it's not creeping up. The testing strips are expensive, though.

:iagree:

I totally agree about the snacking on fat that you mentioned. It is the carbs that will get you. In our house, we're doing a very low carb diet and I do use the keto strips to monitor the sugar. I really like the low carb because I don't have the urge to snack at all. When I was getting too much sugar it was like a merry-go-round...eat...hunger pangs...eat.. Seriously, all I thought about was my next meal or snack. I think it was all linked to too much sugar/carbs. Gary Taubes book Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It explains it all really well.

It sounds like your mil is already diabetic, right? That might make her body react differently than a normal healthy person. In the book she is addressing healthy nutrition for children, not adults. She is probably addressing the fact that so many children in this country are fed all day long on sugar and carbohydrates. I don't know many children who only eat fat.

I do believe every persons situation is unique, I just thought it was an interesting concept and since I had read it from more than one of the people living such long lives, there might be some health benefits to it. I don't think it would dangerous for a normal healthy person to try.

I direct an enrichment co-op for homeschoolers. We begin at 10:00 and finish at 1:00. We have a food class where the kids have snack at 11:00, which is including healthy foods. We are having a problem with the 4 year olds being hungry before 11 and hungry an hour after they have eaten at 11. I'm wondering if these kids are used to snacking all morning or something. To me a child shouldn't eat and be hungry an hour later. That doesn't seem normal. Of course, I know if one mentions it, others will chime in even if they are not.

If you want to learn more -- I suggest people do especially while they're young -- Richard Bernstein's book Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars is excellent. Bernstein has type 1 diabetes and became a doctor in mid-life to figure out how to deal with his health problems. His advice is worth reading even for non-diabetics.

Another is Ron Rosedale's book The Rosedale Diet which talks about the hormone leptin. Cynthia Kenyon based some of her research on his ideas.

I totally agree about the snacking on fat that you mentioned. It is the carbs that will get you. In our house, we're doing a very low carb diet and I do use the keto strips to monitor the sugar. I really like the low carb because I don't have the urge to snack at all. When I was getting too much sugar it was like a merry-go-round...eat...hunger pangs...eat.. Seriously, all I thought about was my next meal or snack. I think it was all linked to too much sugar/carbs. Gary Taubes book Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It explains it all really well.

I still have to read Taubes' book.

Now that I cook for my diabetic MIL, I've found that the best way to deal with her carb cravings is to make substitutions. For example, she loves cakes and cookies, so rather than deprive her completely -- which only led to sneaking -- I tried a few cheesecake recipes made with stevai. She loves it and it doesn't do much to her blood sugar. So, it is possible for diabetics to have their cake and eat it, too!

:D

I have five children... if left to their own devices they will snack all. day. long. (and not usually on things they *should* snack on.)

I am so looking forward to our new home, so that we will *not* be able to sneak a snack on our way to or from the only bathroom...lol. Food is just too available here.

I was raised in the "3 meals, no snacks" environment... and it led to gorging ourselves at meal time. We were overly hungry. Personally, I think the "hearty appetite" mentality is highly over-rated, especially for children who are in school. It is pretty difficult to focus on school work when you're watching the clock and counting the minutes until lunch!

Our family does best on about 5 small meals a day... as long as there is protein at every meal. If the kids are snacking on bread, crackers or cookies... NO. But, when our meal plan looks something like:

7am Breakfast: eggs, yogurt smoothie (made in our vitamix with fruits and veg), toast

10am Snack: Cheese, carrot sticks

12:30pm Lunch: Grilled chicken on bed of lettuce, with spinach, cukecumber, broccoli, cauliflower, with dressing of choice and garlic bread

4:00: dinner... (most nights we have to eat early because of swim practice) whole wheat pasta with homemade spaghetti sauce with some ground beef and lentils, and vegetable and/or salad

7:30pm: vitamix fruit&veggie smoothie (or sorbet) with some protein powder or yogurt.

everyone does much, much better. No one is gorging themselves, everyone knows the routine, and I don't hear, "I'm hungry" for an hour or two prior to meal time. :D

Did you read the section bout positioning? I thought it was very interesting. Perhaps babies are waking up often during the night because we've been convinced they are supposed to sleep on their backs.

I agree with this. From the time she came home from the hospital, I put dd down on her stomach. And this was during the height of the "back to sleep" campaign-- it was even printed on the waistbands of disposable diapers! She NEVER woke up during the night. I had to wake up to pump until my body adjusted. I know it sounds unbelievable, but it's the truth. We were both well-rested, and I never felt sleep-deprived when she was an infant. I firmly believe it's because she slept on her stomach.

astrid