Menu

Phonics Advice

purplejackmama

I am in need of some wisdom for my son's reading. He is 7 and is reading ok, not great. He has trouble sounding out things. We did 100 ez lessons and he is now working through ETC books. My question is this...how do I beef up his phonics? Do I continue with ETC or do I need to do something more. Suggestions, please?

You could use something like All About Spelling, for spelling. It works on recall of the letters for sounds and sound for letters, as well as having word sorts (level 3) where the child works on which letters are being used to say o (o, o silent e, ow, ou, etc..). It would cover you spelling and solidify your phonics at the same time.

Heather

:iagree:

You could use something like All About Spelling, for spelling. It works on recall of the letters for sounds and sound for letters, as well as having word sorts (level 3) where the child works on which letters are being used to say o (o, o silent e, ow, ou, etc..). It would cover you spelling and solidify your phonics at the same time.

Heather

I would work on advanced phonics.

Some people do megawords.

I like Webster's Speller, the 1908 version is usually best for older children, they have some reading selections that also work on vocabulary.

You could also try my syllable division exercises on my how to tutor page.

Also, I like the 1879 McGuffey Readers, the difficult words are marked diacritically and shown before the reading selection, so you get the difficult words out of the way and then get to enjoy the readings. They also build in difficulty nicely and are free from Gutenburg, you need the PDFs.

You could also try my online phonics lessons.