Menu

Can you tell me if this sounds like asthma...

Allergy induced athsma?

For the past 5 years or so I've had seasons where I can't "catch my breath." I try to bend over, to yawn, change positions, etc. and I still can't "catch my breath." It feels almost like I'm not really breathing, though I know I am (obviously or else I'd be dead.)

Before, I always thought it was anxiety. But finally I've noticed that the onse t of this breathing thing came when I was in my bedroom which is rather dusty. I know I am slightly (slightly!) allergic to dust, and finally I think I may have put two and two together. My neck also feels "tight" but nothing feels itchy or scratchy.

So last night I could not breathe and actually heard a wheeze (but not much) then, I left my (carpeted bedroom with sheets and clothes and dusty dressers) bedroom, and came out to the (wood laminate, pretty much clean living room) and within a few MINUTES I could catch my breath, so I stayed there all night, and now it's happening again.

Does this sound like a little bit of athsma? If so what should I do? (other than vacuum the bedroom and sleep in the living room tonight)

I have asthma and I've also experienced the anxiety kind of breathing trouble. Yours sounds like it could be either! :)

Generally when I have asthma (which is frequent), I also cough and/or feel very constricted deep in my chest. It feels deep in the lungs. I usually find myself sitting or standing up taller so as to open my chest in attempt to get more lung space. Moving, yawning, etc., doesn't relieve it.

When I've had anxiety breathing deals, it feels different. It's more like I'm breathing shallow or just can't get my breath. That is when I feel the need to yawn or change positions and feel the tightness in my neck. Tightness in the neck might be more a symptom of anxiety. It feels like a straining in the neck, but there is no real tightness in the lungs (which is where I feel it with asthma).

So...maybe you ought to talk with your doctor about it. If it's asthma, you definitely need to have a medical plan. Asthma needs to be treated--allergy medicine might even be enough. If it's anxiety, then you can become equipped to handle it (with or without medicine). Sometimes just knowing makes it better.

I hope this helps a little...even though I gave no clear answer!

~Kim

It could be. Your PCP would likely give something like Singulair or other similar product which would work well for what you're describing. It works on allergies and asthma. Or you could just try OTC Zyrtec which works well for indoor allergies and see if that does the job.

Laura, new graduate of FNP school. Woo Hoo!!!:tongue_smilie:

Since breathing is kinda important to your continued existence, I do hope you seek medical attention for these symptoms! Whatever it is, it is not something to ignore - what if you are damaging your lungs by not getting the right medical treatment???

I am a worrywart, sometimes.

I have asthma and when I have a bad symptoms, I get anxiety from the lack of oxygen. Anyway, asthma is serious business and needs to be treated by a doctor. With medical management, you can have a long lifespan but untreated asthma is one of those things that seriously lessens your lifespan. Depending on the severity of asthma, you may need to use daily inhalers or not. Oh and asthma is the same no matter what triggers it in you. It is considered an auto-immune disease in that your body overreacts to a trigger and starts the asthma process. Triggers include allergies, cold weather, exercise, pollution, viruses, etc. Adult onset asthma happens a lot and most of us who get it are usually surprised since we tend to think of asthma as a child's disease. I was diagnosed when I was pregnant with my second but I dismissed it thinking it was all due to pregnancy. Then I moved to Sacramento and it was too hard to ignore. Fortunately I found an adult asthma education class that really helped me understand all about it and how important it was to keep on top of it.

Hi! As I was reading the first responders response to your post, I was thinking, hey that's what I was going to write! Except I'd like to add/ask this:

Do you cough when you're experiencing these symptoms?

When I experience asthma troubles, it always includes coughing (for me! I suppose it can be different for everyone!) Coughing is almost a sure sign of allergy (or exercise or anxiety or any I suppose) induced asthma because your airways restrict, then they get inflamed & the cilia become overactive, therefore, making you feel like you need to cough.

My opinion (for as much as that's worth, lol) you should see your PCP. They will tell you if you need to go the extra step to see an allergist. My PCP prescribes my rescue inhaler, but for my son, he sees the allergist, so I think it's different for everyone :) :D

thanks for posting about something I actually know about! lol. haha!