Menu

Math Mammoth users, say it isn't so!

Snowfall

I understand why someone who liked more specific suggestions for teaching would want to use another program.

I would say that someone who is not intuitively "mathy" and who wants more specific suggestions for teaching would be best using Right Start rather than either Singapore (IMHO hard to teach even with the HIG's) or MM.

I would say that someone who is not intuitively "mathy" and who wants more specific suggestions for teaching would be best using Right Start rather than either Singapore (IMHO hard to teach even with the HIG's) or MM.

But what about after RS B? It seems like everyone quits liking C halfway through?

MM has been great for ds6 and for me. We have on our shelf- Rightstart B, Miquon, Singapore, CTC Math workbooks, and Saxon. MM and MEP have definitely been the best fit for *us* so far.

Ds6 doesn't like a whole lot of listening to me explain something, he does well with the clear, concise directions that Maria Miller has laid out. Sometimes, he needs more advice and that's when I will step in with the white board and/or manipulatives to help further explain.

We play the card games that are suggested in MM and he enjoys them. He didn't really need to do all of 1A, but it was a great confidence booster for him to finish it because he likes to call things "SO EEEASY!". He started regrouping numbers on his own because all the repetition really made him comfortable with numbers.

I like that there are not big conceptual leaps, the "slow and steady and very thorough" outline of the worktexts make learning so much more enjoyable for him.

We do have the Singapore CWP's on the shelf too and I will likely start using those just as enrichment over the summer. I'll probably get the IP's too. I don't think it's necessary to use regular Singapore as our main math to use the extra books as long as your comfortable and familiar with the Singapore method.

My boys are young, I don't have a whole lot of experience under my belt and so I try not to "talk up" curriculums on this board. I do like MM very much though and feel very comfortable recommending it. I hope my post can help someone else who might have a child with similar temperaments as mine.

But what about after RS B? It seems like everyone quits liking C halfway through?

There are plenty of folks who are very happy using RS through E or Geometry. I switched my oldest after C because I wanted something more challenging and less teacher-intensive but I miss the "hand-holding" that Dr. Cotter provides.

My ideal program would be as challenging as Singapore with the IP & CWP, hands-on like RS for K-2 then independent like MM for 3-6, would take students through the concepts step-by-step like MM and RS, and would be scripted like RS. A girl can dream, can't she? ;)

To keep a little persecutive, isn't it grand that we have so many great choices that we can agonize over and experiment with multiple programs that ultimately have similar ends and means to see which works best for ourselves and our children?

It is a nice "problem" to have :001_smile:

Bill

To keep a little persecutive, isn't it grand that we have so many great choices that we can agonize over and experiment with multiple programs that ultimately have similar ends and means to see which works best for ourselves and our children?

It is a nice "problem" to have :001_smile:

Bill

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I feel so blessed to be homeschooling in this day and age when we have so many GREAT choices!

We've only completed 1A and half of 1B of both Singapore and Math Mammoth. If I had to choose one, it would be Singapore hands down.

:iagree: We did MM 1A and now are finishing SM 1B and both my son and I prefer SM. Fewer problems and more colorful pictures. That said, when we began MM he LOVED it. He's a child who enjoys switching around a lot LOL.

We LOVED MM. dd was way behind in Math partly because she didn't like it and partly because she didn't get it... We found MM and she began in Grade 2 to begin at the beginning (she was 11) and kept on progressing. I liked that it was short and sweet. Gave her the explanations she needed for that level, for those problems. I did a lot of Math with her and as a result she learned her basics and is now doing 7th grade Math! I am most thankful to MM for its straightforward, "Let's not make it complicated" approach.

Thanks for this post, it is very encouraging to me!...My son is 10 and started with 2B...We are getting ready to move on to 3A, and it is encouraging to see someone "catch up" and do well :D...We are doing a lot of math and he is getting it...I will share the story about your daughter with him...He finds info like that very encouraging...He feels like the only kid working below grade level sometimes...

Okay, ladies. I now own RS B, which we're 2/3 of the way through, and RS C, which we plan to start when we finish...maybe. Maybe not, though, because I just placed a Rainbow Resource order for SM 2A HIG, text, workbook and CWP and for the MM Light Blue bundle through the HSBC. (Come on, ladies! Let's get that discount to 40%!!!) Luckily I know for sure what I'm using for almost everything else, because otherwise it's possible I might go broke hanging out around here. :tongue_smilie: