Menu

George MacDonald- is most of his stuff allegory? I think I might like to read some

We read The Princess and The Goblin as a family read aloud and it was wonderful. The children loved the story itself, although there were other things going on (they're quite a bit younger than your children). I think it stands as a story by itself without reading too much into it ... my husband and I both enjoyed it, and it gave us ideas to discuss (modeling for the children).

We'll read it again someday when they're older.

"Sir Gibbie" is an extremely powerful book and not for the faint of heart. Has some hard passages in it, but a redeeming main character. Pretty realistic as far as the harships some in society go through. Good fodder for discussions with your kids too.

Also, you could try "David Elginbrod".

"It may be doubted if Sir Walter Scott himself ever painted a Scotch fireside with more truth." —Morning Post.

"Sir Gibbie" is an extremely powerful book and not for the faint of heart. Has some hard passages in it, but a redeeming main character. Pretty realistic as far as the harships some in society go through. Good fodder for discussions with your kids too.

Also, you could try "David Elginbrod".

"It may be doubted if Sir Walter Scott himself ever painted a Scotch fireside with more truth." —Morning Post.

:iagree::iagree:

I love George MacDonald's books. He is so good at weaving Christian theology and ethics into his stories without one really even knowing he is doing it! He wrote many books besides the "kids" books - romantic, historical, etc. The Michael Phillips translations are the best I think. The fact that he was C.S. Lewis's favorite author speaks well for him, IMO. I love Lewis!

Some favorites:

The Wise Woman (fairy tale type) - excellent read aloud; great discussion starter

Alec Forbes

Any in the Michael Phillips series

The Princess and Curdie

Pretty much everyone in my whole family loves George MacDonald. We are big fans here! He wrote fairy tales/allegories/children's books, sermons/devotionals, and many (50 maybe?) novels. The novels are not allegorical, but they do contain sermons, especially if you find the books unabridged.

Several authors have produced retellings or abridged versions of MacDonald's books, and they are not all of equal quality, imho. (I think I like the Phillips editions the best.) Because there are so many versions floating around, you might come across the same story with 3 different titles. !!!!!

I read the Princess and the Goblin when I was in 4th grade and I was mesmerized. I could see each scene so clearly, so realisticly even though it was a fantasy/fairy tale. However, I somehow lost track of the book and forgot the title. Even though I forgot the specific book, little wisps of the story would float through my mind every now and then. The book kind of haunted me, but in a good way not a spooky way at all. Somehow it had left an indelible imprint. One day, my now-husband-then-boyfriend's sister invited me to her house to stay the night. There on her shelf, a title caught my eye. It was the Princess and the Goblin. I think I shrieked. I don't think I put it down until I was done and it was every bit as satisfying as my first read was. After that I dove into as much of his material as I could find.