Menu

Co-op help

This may be a stupid question, but what is a co-op? Just a bunch of people meeting together for classes? Some of the ones I've heard described on the boards seem very complicated and organized, I'd just always thought they were small I guess. Also, how would one go about finding one? I've googled "Provo Homeschool coop" and got nothing. I've looked on several state homeschooling websites and got nothing. I would really like to do something as DS5 seems so bored lately. I think he needs friends and a place to run around. School has dropped to listening to an audiobook during rest time, no math, no reading, no writing. If there really are none in the area, how would one go about starting something small? :bigear::bigear:

Meggie,

You might want to check at your local library to see if they know of any homeschool groups. I found out about local homeschool groups by looking at yahoo groups. I searched for homeschool and the name of my city. This website is also an awesome one to spread the word that you are looking and to see what's out there: http://www.hssegue.com/

Do you know any other homeschool families in real life? If you do, that would be a good place to start. Perhaps having just one or two other moms to take turns teaching different subjects might work for you. That accountablity is perhaps what you need to get things done.

Good luck. I hope you find what you need.

In our co-op you have to have at least a third grader to join. Before this rule we had a lot of people want to join more for social reasons than academic at that age. We have about 80 families in ours.

Oh, that makes sense.

Meggie,

You might want to check at your local library to see if they know of any homeschool groups. I found out about local homeschool groups by looking at yahoo groups. I searched for homeschool and the name of my city. This website is also an awesome one to spread the word that you are looking and to see what's out there: http://www.hssegue.com/

Do you know any other homeschool families in real life? If you do, that would be a good place to start. Perhaps having just one or two other moms to take turns teaching different subjects might work for you. That accountablity is perhaps what you need to get things done.

Good luck. I hope you find what you need.

Thank you for the help, I will look at those sites. I know two other homeschooling families; one with a girl my son's age and the other family just barely started HS and neither of them belong to any group.

By definition, a co-op (co-operative) involves parents working in exchange for the services of others. There are also tutorial programs, where the teaching is hired out, that are called co-ops, though, which confuses the issue.

I agree with pp to ask your librarian. They either may know of a list of homeschool groups in your area, or they may just knwo some other homeschoolers who you could contact.

From years and years of being in many different groups of different sizes and forms, I can tell you that being in a small co-op with a few families is the best option, imho. :001_smile: